What do you think?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by JJC, Apr 5, 2010.

1. JJCNew MemberMember

I've had betta for a long time, i've kept about 7 i total as well as females.

As i've been looking through on here i've noticed alot of people saying that betta should be kept on their own, and are not community fish etc.

I've kept them on there own and in community tanks with corys, silver sharks, silver dollars, plecs, angels, differnt types of cats, danos, loads of differnt types of tetras. I have never had any problem at all, never any fin nipping or anything. The only fish i have had problems with was a female betta who fort with the male i had at the time.

Im interested to what other people think.

JJ:;thx

2. Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

i think by "community" they mean bettas being kept together. most bettas dont mind the company of other fish (that dont have attitudes), but usually dont like other bettas. females like each other sometimes, but it just depends on their personalities

3. e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Well the reason the female and male didn't get along probably was because he was trying to kill her. Other than that I don't have anything against female bettas in with other fish. I also have never had a problem with a male in my community tank but I know many people have so I don't ever reccomend putting a male with the community.

4. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

All fish are different. People just suggest not to keep them in community tanks due to the possibility of something happening. Like if I were to tell someone it would be fine and nothing would happen. and then the next day they wake up to a dead betta or dead fish then come and attack me. Thats why people dont suggest it. One, so they wouldnt have to deal with that. And Two just looking out for the best intrest of the fish themselfs.

5. JJCNew MemberMember

Thanks for the reply's guys!

I think there are sum of the best fish around and make a brill addition to a mixed tank. Iver never had problems like i said, just never been able to breed them.

Im really loving this forum =] replys are quick and everyone seems ace!

Many thanks again
    JJ

6. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Your welcome XD

7. LucyModeratorModerator Member

When I refer to a community, I refer to community fish, not just other bettas.
    A blanket statement that most bettas don't mind company is incorrect.
    It depends on the individual personality of each fish, as you said.

However, IME, when people say they're betta's are fine with other fish, it usually includes things like....because he hides in his castle all the time.

JJC, I'm glad it's worked for you, however, I would never recommend the combo you have kept.

8. JJCNew MemberMember

I dont think i would recomend against keeping one in a mixed tank because I've ever had problems.

One thing i have notcied in my new tank is that my betta spends alot of time within the cloud of neons swimming around with them between the plants where there is a lull in the flow. At first i thought there was a chase going on but its not, there just all swimming together. I keep trying to get a pic of all the neons around the betta but i think they are camera shy! soon as it comes out they split.:;bmu

JJ

9. bassbonedivaFishlore VIPMember

I had my son's male betta in a 29gal community tank with platies, guppies, otos and an upside down catfish. There were absolutely no problems (no hiding, no fin nipping, no clamped fins, nothing like that), but you could tell that Gordon didn't like being in there. It's been a month since I pulled him out of that tank and he still hasn't gotten his coloring back completely.

I liken keeping a male betta in an active community tank to you being a mild, laid-back person and being forced to be around java-slamming, hyperactive, constantly moving people all day. You would endure it, but you wouldn't be very happy.

Also, as Lucy pointed out, it depends on the personality of the betta. I have some boys that aren't very aggressive at all toward other males or other fish (Gordon and James, one of my other VT boys, for example). However, I have several males (Edward, Emmett and Amun, to name a few) who I don't even really trust in a divided tank (Emmett and Amun have their own tanks and Edward will be getting his own this weekend) because they're so aggressive.

10. trinketWell Known MemberMember

I think there is always a chance a betta will act aggressively with other fish, and some people don't want to take that risk, which is fine (and responsible). I think some of the results depends on the betta, the tank environment/size, and the other fish-a lot of variables to take into consideration.

My betta has always seemed really laid back. Recently I introduced him to my 2 African Dwarf Frogs and they all get along great (aside from my betta always trying to steal their food). My betta doesn't seem to be the shy type, he's always out and about, looking for food.

I have heard stories of bettas being very aggressive in communities, and others that are totally chill.

11. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice