What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fishkeeping Hot Topics' started by Bobby Callaghan, Mar 26, 2010.

1. B

Bobby Callaghan Valued Member Member

:;cr What do you all think about the fish that are dyed or painted? :;cr

2. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

I am just going to sit back and enjoy the response you get on this one......

3. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

:;jaws

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  4. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

Scientifically they are useful as they change color to certain water perameters. Helpful to us. On a more ethical note doesnt seem right but us humans do many things that turn out not to be right.

5. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

;) The thread has been moved to Hot Topics

6. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

7. m

mcurtissdsu Well Known Member Member

I'm sorry.... people paint their live fish??

8. A

AngelFishLuv1 New Member Member

I think dipping fish in acid or tattooing them kinda sucks. they loose there color after a while anyway. but the other day i saw jellybean cichilds at the store and asked if they were "dyed". it was explained to me that these ones were infused with crustacean d.n.a and thats how they got the color. has anybody ever heard of that? I figure its bull because I bought one and he's lost quite a bit of his color since coming home about 2 months ago.

9. btate617

btate617 Well Known Member Member

10. b

bubblefish Valued Member Member

REDKAHUNA, Are you referring to glofish? I know that glofish were used for water testing purposes.

11. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Dyeing and tattooing fish is a horrific practice that I would like to see end in every corner of the world, although realistically I know it won't. I personally refuse to buy fish that have been dyed or tattooed.

However, the jellyfish dna injections that I believe RedKahuna is referring to regarding glofish has (in my personal opinion) a horrible start (I don't like needles myself), but since they are now "natural born", I have no issue with that.

12. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Have you compared glofish and painted fish to their natural counterparts? Don't the dyed or colored ones look so...unreal? Who needs to change the color of fish when they're already so beautiful?

Look at the glofish. Bright red, yellow, or green. The golden stripes and fins have been dimmed and blurred. Look at a natural zebra danio. Sapphire-blue and pure gold, with peacock-like fins. Can you ask for more?

Look at the dyed Indian glass fish. Disgusting blotches of rainbow colors dominate random spots of their skin, like spots of colored wax. Look at a natural glass fish. A unique transparent nature, that iridiscents rainbow colors under light. Isn't that good enough?

13. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

Glofish are genetically modifed, which is entirely different then tattoo'd or died fish.

Glofish actually have a really interesting history (modifying the original fish by adding the jellyfish DNA to the eggs) originally the idea was that when the fish were stressed (pollueted water) they would glow. However they just ended up being a different colour.

Tattoo'd fish are entirely different and the stress of the whole process inhibits their immune system long term and drastically shorten's their life span overall.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  14. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

And that's exactly why most of us hate this practice. Due to the size of the fish, it's like poking holes in you with a pencil. I know. Ouch.

15. K

Karl R Valued Member Member

IMO this dyeing and tattooing fish is horible. I read somewhere (don't rember where or how true it was) that the needle used would be like useing a chain link fence poast with a point on it to tattoo a person. And dyeing them is just as stressful. Either way if u want fake looking fish then collect plastic ones! Don't harm a living creature to cater to your sense of vanity!

A pencils that's what it was nota fencepost! Sorry my mistake.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2010
  16. c

chilly New Member Member

hi im new so not sure what am doing but need some advice..my betta fish has got a huge swollen tummy looks like its swallowed a marble.can anyone pleae help i love him to much to loose him. ):

17. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

welcome to FL, Chilly. Your question should go in its own thread.

18. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

I saw a picture of what I think was a dyed fish and looked horrible. It reminded me of a 5yr old girls "make over", there are so many different types of fish with every colour of the rainbow naturally that if you want a specific colour find the real fish that has it.

19. p

potatos Valued Member Member

glofish do not suffer from their alteration, due to the fact that it is genetically passed down through generations and no injections are required.

I saw some tattooed balloon mollies, and criticized my lfs manager, who was ashamed, but maintained that they were lazer tattooed. this sounds nicer, but is it actually any less intrusive and harmful than traditional methods?

20. ayelie

ayelie Well Known Member Member

I was brand new to fish keeping and went to the LFS and the guy told me I should pick out something with a lot of color for my first fish, that way I could enjoy the tank more. So I looked at all these little bright colored fish. They were clear at the bottom and had neon strips on their backs/top.

I got three of them, one pink, one lime green, and one orange one. Two days later one was laying on the bottom of the tank dead. I put him in a cup and marched him out to the LFS, they have a 7 day return on fish. I got there and the guy looks at it and says well it's hard to keep dyed fish alive.

DYED!!! What's that I wanted to know. He said they take them as frys and stick a needle in their back and shoot dye in there. He also said that only about 1 out of 5 lives. The whole thing made me sick to think someone would do that to a baby fish. When I asked why they did that. He admitted the only reason they do it is so they will sale better.

I let him know I wouldn't be getting anymore fish from his shop. He said it was like people getting tattooed. I told him I have tatts but I wanted them and I sure wasn't a baby when I got them nor was it done to make more money.

I still have two of them and I love them and they are cute as can be, however their dye is almost gone, they just have a spot or two, but they are growing and seem very happy.

Here is a link to a pic of a fish just like mine.

Last edited: May 1, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice