What do you think ?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Joel2036, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Joel2036

Joel2036Valued MemberMember

Just finished doing my second tank today :) tell me what you think,
    I know they both need more lighting because they are currently sharing the one light half on one tank half on the other but here they are
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355042984.223465.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355043060.912400.jpg
    With my king betta Rex :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355043128.140456.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355043183.427961.jpg
    And my other boy Jye :)
    What do you think ?
    If you think it needs anything let me know ! :)

2. Magoo

MagooFishlore VIPMember

Hello Joel beautiful bettas :)

I would add more plants once you have got the lighting fixed and a cave or two bettas like to explore and hide and be mischievous well mine do anyway lol.

They certainly have enough space to swim about which is excellent to see.

You could get them some tall plants or a betta hammock each so they have somewhere to sleep.

The plants don't have to be high maintenance low light plants would work for you like java fern, anubias, marimo balls, java moss, penny wort.

My two boys have their own tanks and they are quite planted Mordin currently is king of his jungle lol and Henry loves to play with his marimo balls the little looney

3. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

the bettas prob like the low light actually, but im sure the plants dont lol.

when you get better lights i would add some floating plants they love them. penny wort, hornwort, anacharis, water spite are all easy floating plants.

i have some floating betta logs and they seem to love them. i think azoo makes them.

can they see each other? mine wouldnt stop flaring at each other lol, i think it was causing one of them fin rot though :(

4. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks guys ! Yeah I wanted to make sure they had plenty of swimming room ! I was never into betta I'm more of a community tank person but once seeing them in them tiny cubes in the shop I had to rescue them
    It was funny when I was buying my first one I bought the 10g tank with it aswell and he asked me
    "what is this tank for ?"
    So I told him I was putting the betta in
    "oh really ? I'm pretty sure betta don't like tanks to big because it hurts their fins, but because this tank is pretty big for just one you should buy a second one they will have enough room to hide from each other in there"
    I did not even reply to him I was so annoyed I hate how they think just because they put them in ridiculously small tanks that they actually like it !
    Sorry for my rant I thought i had to tell someone ! :)
    Some live plants is what I have asked my gf to get my for Christmas :) can't wait !! Hopefully will get the lights before then tho !
    Thanks for your help I'll try to keep you posted on how it goes

5. AquariaUK

AquariaUKValued MemberMember

Anancharis is a great floating plant from my experience.

6. oscarsbud

oscarsbudWell Known MemberMember

Looks good. Bettas are beautiful. As said above, a couple more plants and a hiding spot or 2 will be great. Mine love them. I have one in a 5 gallon tank and the other is in a 10. I wouldn't even consider putting one in anything smaller - just my own personal preference.

7. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Yes deffinatly ! I admit it when I first started keeping fish years ago I had a betta in the cube that they are in at the pet shop and I would never do that again ! Surprisingly he did last about 3-4 months but it must have been awful for him, can't wait to give them some new plants, what would you recommend for a nice hiding place ? Would a rock cave hurt his fins is the caves are rough ?

8. oscarsbud

I think as long as you use rounded stones you will be okay.

9. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Just got a new light for the tank :) and I also got a bunch of of the banana plants for each of the tanks I have :) do you think this looks better ?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355638154.667451.jpg
    Do you think it is too much lighting ?
    I like the almost yellow light because it looks more natural like what you would see in a creek with those stones aswell I really like it :)
    And this is the other tank
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355638667.341590.jpg

Got 3 bunches of the plant for 10 dollars :) what do you think ?
    Do you think I will need co2 ?

10. klutz10154

klutz10154Valued MemberMember

up to a certain point, the light is a limiting factor. Your tanks aren't very bright.

If you want the plants to grow faster, get some plant bulbs. And if you need a bigger fixture, you can cut a shop light down. For $10-15 it's a cheap way to upgrade the lighting...plus bulbs.

11. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks for your advice klutz, I have actually thought of doing that a few times "borrow" some from work and it would be free :)
    So say if I got one that was too long, would I just cut one end down to the right length ?

12. oscarsbud

For my 5 and 10 gallon tanks, I just took a couple of short strip lights that were in the garage and laid them across the top of the tank. They overhang a bit on each side but do the trick nicely. And the plants seem to be liking it a lot.

13. bankruptjojo

bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

you really cant have to much light as far as it bothering the fish. just have a shaded area for them.

to know for sure if you have to much light well need to know how many watts and what kind of bulbs they are.

14. tim1989New MemberMember

Joel2036:
    Yes, disassemble the light and cut the metal portion down. The one I cut down, the clips for the bulb slide into square notches in the metal. I just made two cuts and folded the metal back. Just be careful so that when you reassemble it, all the screw holes align. I only cut one side because the ballast screwed into one end, so the middle screwhole was offset afterwards.

I didn't get the screwholes drilled right on one end, so I have zip ties loosely placed around the fixture and bulb to ensure the bulb can't fall if I bump it or anything...but I could slide the zip ties off if I want to remove a bulb.

I suggest looking at bulbs first then getting the fixture. I went to lowes and had no idea, but after a search online, most 36" bulbs were 24-30 watts. I settled on a 32 watt fixture, just a $14 one. Works fine so far.

15. tim1989New MemberMember

My cory catfish were nowhere to be seen while I had both 30 watt plant bulbs running in my 30 gallon. After popping one out, they're acting normal again. They supposedly adjust over time, but they didn't act the same after either.

16. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks Tim ,
    Yeah doesn't sound too difficult might give it ago over the holidays :)

17. OP
    OP
    Joel2036

Thanks Tim ,
    Yeah doesn't sound too difficult might give it ago over the holidays :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice