What do you think the price mark up on tropical fish is?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blk69, Jul 23, 2015.

1. B

Blk69 Valued Member Member

I am used to my local Pet Co prices on fish. Typically they are running sales where platies are around a buck and guppies $2. When I visit some other local stores they are a minimum 25% or more expensive than Pet Co's regular prices. my last purchase, Kulie loches, at Pet Co were $2 each, regular price. Other local pet stores were $5 to $7 each.

Pet Co did not sell me that Loach for a loss. Makes me wonder what the mark up on fish really is? how can Pet Co be so more competitive?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Big chain petstores might use lesser quality fish (for a lack of a better term) than your LFS. They can also afford to sell them for a lower price because they also make money from other items (dog/cat/bird products, etc.)

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

The markup is usually 200-400% depending on what kind of fish it is. What I mean is if they buy a fish for $2, they usually sell it for $8-10. I'm not sure what % that is, someone good in math plz help lol.

4. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Alot of it has to do with buying power as well. Big companies like Petsmart, Petco etc are nationwide, and their cost bracket will be substantially lower than an independently owned store due to the sheer quantities they order as a company. Most distributors like Segrest Farms who sell to the majority of fish stores in the US, offer price breaks based on quantity. My LFs actually uses Segrest as their main supplier, and he quotes me prices based on quantity as he gets them cheaper the more he buys.

Also quite a few independent fish stores will buy from local breeders as well, which in many cases is usually higher quality stock than what youd get from a fish farm or big distributor.

5. Dolfan

Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I don't think the stores, make too much money on fish, especially when they sell them for $1 or 2 each. Factor in price of shipping the fish to the store, then upkeep of tanks, food, chemical treatments, filtration, etc the profit is probably pretty slim.

I think the big companies like Petco and Petsmart mark down the fish so much, as they just want you in the store, where you will buy other things like food, chemicals, medicines, filtration media, etc. That stuff they make a ton of money on. I find products sold online at about half the price of the big box stores or LFS, so I know they are probably much cheaper than that.

That is also another reason that I think the bigwigs at places like Petco and Petsmart, aren't too worried about having lesser quality fish. If the fish start having health issues, most people go right back to the store and buy up all the overpriced "medicine". Half the time those "medicines" cause more issues, which drives people back to the store for more stuff, it's a bad cycle. At some point people go online and find good sites like fishlore to hopefully break the cycle and get some good information.

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

On the fish? Not much. The overpriced equipment, food, deco, substrate, etc.... That's where the mark ups come from.

7. OP
    OP
    B

Well.....I will definitely not be opening a LFS. How could I compete with PetCo's prices?

8. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

Alot of folks will gladly pay slightly more at an independent store rather than support big chains. Its also alot easier to build a good relationship, and get good deals.

9. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Yep I agree, I walked into a LFS one time, never been there but there were these fish I wanted and so I asked for a discount and they gave me 25% off those fish. What a way to draw new customers!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

10. OP
    OP
    B

My LFS will give you 25% off fish for a yearly fish club membership of $12. You need to purchase $48 worth of fish to break even. At $7 for a Kuilie Loach that can be hit quickly.

You can get a lifetime membership for $50.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice