What do you think of the colour of tannins?

1. Chloe432 Initiate Member

Hi guys I've had driftwood in my aquarium for a few months now and I can honestly say it's the best decision I've made ,my fish are soo much happier , they don't hide there always out and seem more friendly to one another. The only downside is that water colour, I do a water change and it becomes a weak gold colour and actually looks nice and relaxing but give it 2 weeks and the colours back to a darker shade (it's more golden yellow than brown) .this isn't really a advise question just wondering how many keep the tannins in there water instead of trying to rid them.
    I do like the colour it makes and so do the fish I think it's just a shock as i have never had driftwood in my fish tank before and always had Crystal clear water, it probably doesn't help I associate the water with being dirty which it is far from.

So does anyone keep the tannins or not?
    Ps it's freshwater not brackish

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I like the look of tannins in the water & I add alder cones to get the effect as my wood is so old it no longer leaches any

3. Chloe432 Initiate Member

I've never heard of alder cones I'll have to look at them

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Oak leaves also work, you can buy catappa leaves or even special tea bags for aquariums on ebay or amazon
    I only use alder cones & oak leaves because I can collect them for free

5. sophi Well Known Member Member

Personally, I'm starting to despise it. I have 2 pieces of driftwood that have been leeching for nearly a year so I doubt it will stop lol. The color gets too dark to the point where the water just looks nasty.

I liked it at first, but it does get very annoying. Plus, I'm kind of spoiled because my other tanks have crystal clear water and this one doesn't.

6. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Driftwood can be beneficial for your tank, fish, plants, water parameters. Personally I like the tea color, however, there IS such a thing as too much driftwood. I had 17 pieces of it in my 265g tank and I was having to change filter pads every day due to clogging. I removed all of it but 3 large pieces and 1 4' long vine type. Much, much better.

With having so much driftwood in the tank, it appeared that the water was getting thick. I ran my Diatom filter several times after removing the driftwood and I used Micron Filter Pads (link below) to help remove the tannins. My water is now crystal clear and very little tea colored water. After removing most of the driftwood, I also changed my Activated Carbon for fresh.

http://www.thatpetplace.com/pure-flo-filter-pad-50-micron-30in-36in

If your water is too dark, then maybe you want to try smaller pieces of wood or cut what you have in 1/2 (children get your parents help here).

More frequent water changes will also help to remove some or most of the tea colored water.

Ken