What do you think of my stocking?

Cowardlyslimeball

Hi everyone!
This is the story of my fishkeeping journey so far, hope you enjoy!
Last year, I got my first tank from a friend's friend, who had died and left behind a overstocked, neglected 40 gallon aquarium. I didn't know that though, all I knew was that there was a "20 gallon" aquarium, with "10 or 20 orange and black fish that looked like goldfish"
This was the actual stocking:
- 2 orange guppies
- a single pregnant platy (still confused about that, haha!)
- 4 black mollys
- 7 or 8 cardinal tetras, 2 had severe teburculosis
- 6 glow light tetras
- 5 cory cats, I don't know what kind
- 3 black skirt tetras
- 3 glass catfish
- 2 adult BN plecos
- and to top it off, 13 pleco fry, and more on the way
So, me being inexperienced, except for the research I had done on goldfish, (my plan was have a single fancy goldfish in a 20 gallon) I bagged up all the fish, emptied the tank, and threw away ALL of the filter media. :eek: and brought the tank home. This started my 6 month cycle, I lost at least one fish every week to dropsy, tuberculosis, ammonia poisoning, or old age/stress. I also gave away all of the juvenile plecos, and set up the 20gal I had to help with all of the fish.
Now, I've been through the ringer and come out older and I hope wiser! This is my current stocking:
- 1 orange platy (Rosy) the one surviver of the original platys fry
- 2 BN plecos, one of which is morget, the daughter of morgan, my favorite fish. RIP
- 1 glass catfish
- 1 cardinal tetra
- 4 glow light tetras
- 2 comet goldfish, 2in
- and my favorite, 3 in oranda goldfish, (it doesn't have a name because I don't know it's gender yet)
Who loves to play and be petted.
My plan is to give all of my fish a good home for what time they have left, since most of them are to old and worn to give away. I haven't really gotten any advice on the tank, and was wondering if anyone had anything to say!
Thanks everyone!

Fishproblem

One comet in a 40 gallon isn't going to work out, never mind two.

The glass cats, cardinals, and glowlights all need to live in schools to thrive. The typicaly quoted minimum is 6, but in my personal experience, the cardinals and glowlight tetras really need a minimum of ten to feel comfortable and act more naturally.

Platies are super social and would do best with more than one. You can do females only to avoid accidentally overstocking with unwanted fry.

The real sticker here (aside from being far too large for the tank) is that your goldfish are cool-water fish with a much lower healthy temperature range than the their tropical tank mates. I personally think this makes them incompatible long term, as inappropriate temps will eventually take their toll on whatever fish are being exposed to them.

Cowardlyslimeball

Fishproblem said:

The glass cats, cardinals, and glowlights all need to live in schools to thrive. The typicaly quoted minimum is 6, but in my personal experience, the cardinals and glowlight tetras really need a minimum of ten to feel comfortable and act more naturally.

Platies are super social and would do best with more than one. You can do females only to avoid accidentally overstocking with unwanted fry.

The real sticker here (aside from being far too large for the tank) is that your goldfish are cool-water fish with a much lower healthy temperature range than the their tropical tank mates. I personally think this makes them incompatible long term, as inappropriate temps will eventually take their toll on whatever fish are being exposed to them.
I agree on the comets, I was thinking I could ask one of my neighbors who has a pond if they would like them when they get a little bigger, but on the oranda, they prefer a lot warmer water than the slim bodied goldfish, and the tank is usually around 72°, which is perfect.
As for the schooling fish, I can't give away the catfish or the tetras, they're all two worn, and I'm not interested in buying more, so they are just there I guess. Idk what to do with that..
Do you think I could manage some more platys? I really love them, but I don't know if it would be okay to get a few more.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I think you are pretty heavily stocked, some say that you can have 1 alone goldfish in a 20g, I disagree because they are social and want a t least one companion. And even one goldfish is pretty heavily stocked. I am sorry I had to say this, but I still think I have gotten the hang of it and later learn "Oh I did this wrong", in the hobby you are always learning something new, you've never mastered it. And you still are pretty new. And if you just look at threads on here just for the info, you will slowly learn a lot (Don't just take it from one person, only if you've heard it multiple times by many people). And you'll be able just to tell if it is too heavily stocked, or understocked. Happy Fishkeeping!

Fishproblem

In the meantime, you still have the comets in the tank though, so what's your plan to address the temperature issue?

You can certainly leave it as is, but that's incompatible with giving those fish a "good home". Without properly sized schools, they will be perpetually stressed and insecure. Other local fishkeepers with large schools of those species would probably be happy to take them for their communities. You can post them on craigslist and pretty easily find homes for them. I've done it before. You say these fish are old, but glass catfish live around 8 years, and cardinals and glowlights can life up to five. They should have a good amount of time left in them to enjoy a new home.

I agree with SouthAmericanCichlids. You're pretty heavily stocked as is, and the bioload will only increase as your goldfish grow. You should secure a new home for the comets as soon as you can. It's never a good idea to have fish you don't have adequate permanent housing for. Even then, though - an oranda and two BNs in a 40 gallon will keep your additional stocking options limited.

RandomFishBoi

Fishproblem said:

I agree. A single comet goldfish gets too big for a 40 gallon, and for any schooling fish the lowest minimum is 3 but I would say 6 is more accurate. I think many schooling fish can thrive with at least 6, but the more the better.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Fishproblem said:
I agree with FinalFins.
Did you call me finalfins. :eek: :eek: :eek: I am soooo offended, jk lol.
Also is this a 40 gallon or a 20 gallon, if it's a 40g. You could probably do 2 smaller goldfish and that would be a pretty good stocking.

Pfrozen

most of those fish were there from the original rescue so not your fault. you shouldnt have added the goldfish but you came here asking about it for a reason so its good that you're learning. i think you should rehome the comets as well, you'd be fine with one fancy goldfish imo but they are still temp incompatible like others said

Lebeeze

Is it a 40 gallon or a 20 gallon? Or is it both? I'm not a goldfish expert, but the fancier goldfish that stay about 6 " would be okay with 2 in the 40 alone. They have a big bioload. Great fish though!!!

Fishproblem

SouthAmericanCichlids said:
Did you call me finalfins. :eek: :eek: :eek: I am soooo offended, jk lol.
Also is this a 40 gallon or a 20 gallon, if it's a 40g. You could probably do 2 smaller goldfish and that would be a pretty good stocking.
Haaaaahahaaha I did! (edited lol) Feel free to excommunicate me :bigtears:

I think it's a 40 that was incorrectly advertised as a 20, if I read that right.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Fishproblem said:
Haaaaahahaaha I did! (edited lol) Feel free to excommunicate me :bigtears:

I think it's a 40 that was incorrectly advertised as a 20, if I read that right.
It's ok, I am honored to be thought of on the level of the mysterious, pronounced Finalfins lol.

Cowardlyslimeball

Thanks for the advice everyone! unfortunately, where I live, there are almost no fishkeepers. I think it would be very hard to find good home for any of my fish. I'm kind of stuck, I really want a nice, well stocked aquarium but it's really hard!! I can't afford to set up my 20gal right now, I love platys, my plecos and my oranda! I'll post my tetras, the glass catfish, and the comets on cragslist and hope for the best, but who's gonna want some old fish, or the comets you can get at the pet store for 25 cents! It's very frustrating!

Noroomforshoe

I have also rescued schooling fish that were not in proper schools. I always have the intenions of getting more of the species. It was two years back that a craigslist person was rehoming x-ray tetra. what i ended up getting was 3 x-ray tetra, one indian glass/ink injected tetra, and one tetra, I think it is anyway, that I still can not identify. So,, I will never ever EVER purchase injected fish, and I have been searching for non painted Indian glass tetra for years with no results, so I'm stuck there, and I'm stuck with this mystery fish that tries to school with every other fish but never really manages to fit in. I am happy to keep the loners as long as they need, The problem is, stressed fish can start an ich infestation that infects your entire tank, and could infect your other tanks too if you use the gravel vacuum. Am I being paranoid you ask? Well fish in my tank got ich for the first time in 15 years just a few months ago, so I dont think so. Thank god for ich x and my marine land heater that actuall got the tempurate up to 86 degrees. The ich was cured with no losses.

Dippiedee

Well I wont grill you over a stock you largely didnt choose. Yes, of course you shouldnt have added the goldfish but youd be hard pressed to find one of us who hasnt made a few mistakes along the way.

If you can get the comets into the neighbours pond, certainly do that. They will be happier there. I had a roughly 4 inch common goldfish I moved into my grandpa's pond with foot long goldfish and medium sized koi and he did great, hes now huge.

I wont suggest upping the schools because, as you've said, you dont want to keep these species of fish beyond the ones you rescued. You can post an advertisement for them but other than that, the only thing you can do is keep them clean, fed and as happy as you possibly can for the remainder of their lives. Goldfish and pleco are heavy bioload fish, so I wouldnt add any fish to the mix until at least the comets are gone. What's your long term stocking plan? A few of the fancy goldfish?

Cowardlyslimeball

Dippiedee said:
Well I wont grill you over a stock you largely didnt choose. Yes, of course you shouldnt have added the goldfish but youd be hard pressed to find one of us who hasnt made a few mistakes along the way.

If you can get the comets into the neighbours pond, certainly do that. They will be happier there. I had a roughly 4 inch common goldfish I moved into my grandpa's pond with foot long goldfish and medium sized koi and he did great, hes now huge.

I wont suggest upping the schools because, as you've said, you dont want to keep these species of fish beyond the ones you rescued. You can post an advertisement for them but other than that, the only thing you can do is keep them clean, fed and as happy as you possibly can for the remainder of their lives. Goldfish and pleco are heavy bioload fish, so I wouldnt add any fish to the mix until at least the comets are gone. What's your long term stocking plan? A few of the fancy goldfish?
Thanks, my long term plan is to re-home (or keep them untill they die) all of the fish except the plecos, oranda, and my platy. Next year, I might be able to set up my 20gal. If I can, I might move the oranda and a pleco over there, or the platy and a pleco, then I will be able to add some more platys. I just don't have the room or money this year, so I hope that works!
I know my neighbor has a pond, but I don't know how big the fish are. I wouldn't want them to eat the comets! Hopefully I can grow the comets this year and they might be ready by then. We'll see, I guess!

Top Bottom