What do you think of my cycling idea??? Question

1. Tian Well Known Member Member

My 200g is arriving on Monday, probably about late but I'm gonna start preparing media tonight....

Here is the plan:

I'm gonna water change my 100 later now, so I want to pour the water into a bucket, then I'm gonna add a hang on filter, normal interior filter and corner filters in the bucket filled with new media mixed with some of my current media (ceramic rings and bio balls) and in my current filter where I'll be removing say half old media for the filters in bucket im also gonna add new media....
    What I'm hoping to achieve is for the some old media in bucket filters with old tank water to carry over the bacteria to the new media, same with the new media added to the tanks filter....
    Gonna let it stay this way till I'm gonna move the fish over to new tank which is about 5-7 days away from tommorow....

Do you think this could work? Any suggestions or opinions???

Sent from my Primo73 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The bacteria in your current media will need feeding or it'll die off, as long as you do that it will help to start cycling the new media

3. Tian Well Known Member Member

Okay... so once a day a little fish food/pellets will do the job, right?

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

If you can get ammonia that would be better, food pellets can take a while to break down enough to be of use

5. Tian Well Known Member Member

What about if I take lots of flakes, crush it into really fine like powder effect pieces and feet that to the media? I was at LFS today and browsed thru their "stuff" and can't recall that I've seen ammonia.... I'll just make 100% sure tomorrow again.....

6. Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

You would get ammonia at a local grocer, home supply store, as it is a cleaning agent. You will want to make sure that it is pure ammonia, without detergents. Check this by shaking the bottle vigorously, if the bubbles disappear immediately you are good to go. If not pick another type of ammonia.

7. Tian Well Known Member Member

Okay.... Got it.... thanks you guys :)

8. Tian Well Known Member Member

Okay, bucket setup is done and I'm gonna get some ammonia tomorrow.
    Its a 20 litre bucket, how much ammonia should be added?

9. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

If you have an ace hardware store that's were I got my ammonia from it's called janitorial strength ammonia. When I did my cycle I did 2 drops per gallon an that put me around 5ppm ammonia which is tight where I wanted it.