What do you think about this stocking ? (36"x12", 24"Tall)

DrPatate

Hey guys, what would you guys think of this stocking for a 45 gallon tall (36x12 , 24 tall) very planted with lots of caves, driftwoods and hiding spots. Sand Substrate. Would use a Seachem Tital 110 (plus maybe a sponge filter ?)

- 3-4x Pearl Gouramis
- 6-10x small Tetras / Rasboras / Red Pencilfish
- 9x Corydoras
- 2x males Bolivian Rams

+

(one of the following)

1x Nannacara Anomala
1x Laetacara Curviceps
1x Anomalochromis thomasi

The 2x males Bolivian Rams cannot go, as well as the Corydoras, as I already have them in a 20 and plan of putting them there. So far they're peaceful no agression at all. I'd really like not to change the Pearl Gouramis (I know they're not American), unless we could find another medium-size gracious top-layer fish.

I'm also open to suggestion :)

I'd prefer avoid Apistos for this one though.

Thanks!

Noroomforshoe

I think the tank is too small for red rainbow fish. Those guys get large, and they are very active. threadfins, or dwarf neon rainbows could work instead.

I think that 4 pearl gourami is too many, 1 or 2 could work.

One specimen of one of the three dwarf cichlids would be fin in a 40 gallon tank. But with gourami, rams, bottom dwellers, and a school of fish it seems like too much IMO. Its a lot of semi aggressive species in one place.

DrPatate

I think the tank is too small for red rainbow fish. Those guys get large, and they are very active. threadfins, or dwarf neon rainbows could work instead.

I think that 4 pearl gourami is too many, 1 or 2 could work.

One specimen of one of the three dwarf cichlids would be fin in a 40 gallon tank. But with gourami, rams, bottom dwellers, and a school of fish it seems like too much IMO. Its a lot of semi aggressive species in one place.

Oh my mistake for the Rainbowfish, what I actually wanted to write was Red Pencilfish. My bad!

I was afraid getting only 2 PG would risk agression if one decides to bully the other, do you think it would be okay ?

So your suggestion would be to go maybe two Pear Gouramis, the 2 rams, corys, schoolers and no other dwarf cichlid ?

MacZ

While Bolivian Rams are more or less ok with Cories, adding a second species of dwarf cichlid is bound to become problematic.

Didn't you ask this on another forum lately?

Noroomforshoe

Pencil fish are great! But those red ones are very very small, I think they might be too small to keep with angels, gourami, maybe even rams.

MacZ

Pencil fish are great! But those red ones are very very small, I think they might be too small to keep with angels, gourami, maybe even rams.
Fine with rams, likely also with gourami. Definitely not with Angels. But then again, nobody talked about angels.

DrPatate

While Bolivian Rams are more or less ok with Cories, adding a second species of dwarf cichlid is bound to become problematic.

Didn't you ask this on another forum lately?
You're correct, because I'm still working on my ideal stocking. On the other forum, I was asking if an Apisto could work with them but I've been convinced it wouldn't.

I came this time more open to compromises, like the possibility of swapping the PG for some other species, which I didn't really want to at the time

I also found some other dwarf species in the meantime and thought that maybe one of them could work instead.

MacZ

I see, I see.

DrPatate

Okay, so I think the message is clear all around : in the 45 gallon I will only keep the PG with some schoolers, the Bolivian Rams and the corydoras — no other cichlid.

( I will however fix my 36 gallons and make a new discussion for suggestions of a single breeding pair of medium or small-to-medium American cichlids + a school of adapted schoolers. That will be my consolation for not putting any more in this 45 lol )

My only question before we close this thread, if I go with only the Pearl Gouramis, the schoolers, the 2 male rams and the corys, what amount of PG, schoolers and corys should I get ?

I already have 6 or 7 peper corys, and 2 Sterbai. Could I up to sterbai to 5 so that they can shoal, thus making 11-12 corys or that would be too many since they'd occupy the same area as the Rams ? Maybe it would be better to only put the 6 pepper (who are small compared to my Sterbai) ?

As for the PG : some people says 4 would be too cramped up, some say 3 would be too few and would create some agression between them. And with two I'd be afraid that the male would harass the female non-stop thus stressing her maybe to death ?

As for the schoolers for this one, I would be thinking very small one : since I will not put any medium size cichlid, I think smaller schoolers would make the rams and the PG look bigger.

I was thinking Cardinals and/or Rummynoses, how many should I go for ?

Thanks again for helping me and convincing me to only go with on cichlid species.

Noroomforshoe

You likly would be ok getting more sterbei cories. They dont share the same space as the rams.

Pearl gouramis get pretty large. You should really stick to one or two. Idnk if i mentioned my experiance with them, I have kept a pair of pearl gourami 4 separate times, 3 times I did not sex them properly, and ended up with 2 males. Of the 4 pairs, 3 of them swan together like best buds their entire life in my tank. Only one pair did not work out, "they were aggressive towards one another" Gourami are not livebearers, they are not constantly thinking, MATE! MATE! MATE! When 2 gourami dont get along its usually a territory issue. If you have 3 there definitely could be fighting over a female. Three is a often a crowd.

DrPatate

Oh great, thanks for sharing this :) I'll go with two then :)

So this would look okay ?

2x Pearl Gouramis
2x Male Bolivian Rams
7x Peper Corydoras
5-7x Sterbai
A school of schooling fish

As for the schoolers, could I go two school of 10 Cardinals and 10 Rummynose or that would be too much ?

As for the introducing order, I could start by my 7 peper Cory's and my 2 Sterbai once cycled as I already have them and don't need to quarantine them.

Then, I guess I could buy 3-5 Sterbai and and the schoolers and put them in quarantine for 2 weeks, then put them in and buy the 2 PG that I put in quarantine for 2 weeks, and lastly I put my two Bolivian Rams without quarantine as I already have them in the same tank as my cories. Would that be the best way to proceed ? Or am I complicating things for nothing and I could go simpler ?

I just heard that it's usually Cory's and schoolers first, then whoever's more likely to be territorial last.

Oh and could a small pleco (either BNP or a Zebra or some sites say that clown plecos are in the 3-4 inches mark too?)

Pfrozen

Dont overlook the red pencilfish imo, mine have been a blast. I assume you mean n. Beckfordi right? A group would be very comfortable in a 45 gallon tank. They can be kept in smaller tanks but only with good planning. Anything over 20g is okay for these guys. If they're comfortable they won't bother your other fish and will display lots of cool behaviors. Should be fine to add a group on top of what you already have listed.

DrPatate

Dont overlook the red pencilfish imo, mine have been a blast. I assume you mean n. Beckfordi right? A group would be very comfortable in a 45 gallon tank. They can be kept in smaller tanks but only with good planning. Anything over 20g is okay for these guys. If they're comfortable they won't bother your other fish and will display lots of cool behaviors. Should be fine to add a group on top of what you already have listed.
On top of the 12-14 corys and the other schoolers ? Wow that would be nice!

I really like them (I indeed talk about the n. Beckfordi), but I've read that they could be around 20 bucks each, so I'm thinking this might be a very expensive school lol But if I find some at a good price I'm happy to read that they'd work!

Pfrozen

I really like them (I indeed talk about the n. Beckfordi), but I've read that they could be around 20 bucks each, so I'm thinking this might be a very expensive school lol But if I find some at a good price I'm happy to read that they'd work!

Absolutely, they will have plenty of space in a 3 foot tank even with those other species. 20 bucks each is a lot, you're right. I was lucky enough to get mine for 7 dollars each but they are very hard to find. I walked into the store during a delivery, saw that they had come in, and bought them right away. They were available in the area for a week or two and then I never saw them again. The standard gold ones are easy to find though. Hopefully you can find them for a decent price. I would stock 10, 2-3 males and 7-8 females is a good ratio if you want to see all the different displays and color changes

Motherlovebetta

Oh and could a small pleco (either BNP or a Zebra or some sites say that clown plecos are in the 3-4 inches mark too?)
If you get a zebra pleco post pics! Clown plecos yes 3-4 inches I love mine.

TClare

I think its the coral red N. mortenthaleri that is so expensive, I doubt if beckfords would cost that much. I have beckfords (not red) and really enjoy them.
If you get a zebra pleco post pics! Clown plecos yes 3-4 inches I love mine.
I think it would probably be the Colombian zebra, L129? the true zebra is much rarer and I believe very expensive.

Motherlovebetta

I think its the coral red N. mortenthaleri that is so expensive, I doubt if beckfords would cost that much. I have beckfords (not red) and really enjoy them.

I think it would probably be the Colombian zebra, L129? the true zebra is much rarer and I believe very expensive.
Darn, I was hoping for a true zebra :D Didn’t know about the Colombians. The true zebras are $$$$$$

DrPatate

Oh, I don't know about the right L### and I have not seen any available yet, I just found a page about small pleco and asked without checking if they were rare or not lol
Yes I think you are correct, I was referencing to this video :

Do you know what's the difference between the Coral Red and the Beckfords and why the former are so expensive ? I don't mind the Beckford's, they're red enough and pencilish enough for me lol

Motherlovebetta

Also, I have a 50g with similar stocking to what you are wanting minus the Rams. 5 pearls, 12 harlequin rasboras, 11 albino cories. Have some plecos in quarantine. Everyone gets along great!

Pfrozen

Oh, I don't know about the right L### and I have not seen any available yet, I just found a page about small pleco and asked without checking if they were rare or not lol

Yes I think you are correct, I was referencing to this video :

Do you know what's the difference between the Coral Red and the Beckfords and why the former are so expensive ? I don't mind the Beckford's, they're red enough and pencilish enough for me lol

I've seen pencilfish prices all over the place.. they seem to command a premium sometimes.. not sure what the exact reasons are

DrPatate

Absolutely, they will have plenty of space in a 3 foot tank even with those other species.

(...)

I would stock 10, 2-3 males and 7-8 females is a good ratio if you want to see all the different displays and color changes
Great !!

So from what I understand, this would be a correct stocking ? Even to me it seems a bit stocked, but it's my first 45 gallon with smaller fish so I'll trust you guys!

Centerpieces
- 2x Pearl Gouramis
- 2x Male Bolivian Rams

Schoolers
- 10x Cardinals
- 10x Rummynose
- 10x Beckford's Red Pencilfish

Bottom Feeders
- 7x Peper Corydoras
- 7x Sterbai Corydoras
- 1x small pleco species

Or should I cut down somewhere ?

As for the introduction order, would this blow make sense or there'd be a simpler way ?

As for the introducing order, I could start by my 7 peper Cory's and my 2 Sterbai once cycled as I already have them and don't need to quarantine them.

Then, I guess I could buy 3-5 Sterbai and and the schoolers and put them in quarantine for 2 weeks, then put them in and buy the 2 PG that I put in quarantine for 2 weeks, and lastly I put my two Bolivian Rams without quarantine as I already have them in the same tank as my cories. Would that be the best way to proceed ? Or am I complicating things for nothing and I could go simpler ?

I just heard that it's usually Cory's and schoolers first, then whoever's more likely to be territorial last.

Pfrozen

Great !!

So from what I understand, this would be a correct stocking ? Even to me it seems a bit stocked, but it's my first 45 gallon with smaller fish so I'll trust you guys!

Centerpieces
- 2x Pearl Gouramis
- 2x Male Bolivian Rams

Schoolers
- 10x Cardinals
- 10x Rummynose
- 10x Beckford's Red Pencilfish

Bottom Feeders
- 7x Peper Corydoras
- 7x Sterbai Corydoras
- 1x small pleco species

Or should I cut down somewhere ?

As for the introduction order, would this blow make sense or there'd be a simpler way ?
I would just do 1 male ram and do a single school of one cory species personally

DrPatate

I would just do 1 male ram and do a single school of one cory species personally
Problem is that I already have the 2 male rams and 7 peper corys (+2 Sterbai that were given to me), and I need to remove them all from my 20 gallons because my GF wants an Apisto in that one so I planned on building the stocking of the 45 around them the most possible.

Could I cut the numbers somewhere else in the list ?

I guess I could rehome the 2 Sterbai but they're so nice looking compared to my Pepered.

As for the 2 rams, I'd really like to keep them, so far they're my favorite fellows.

Pfrozen

Problem is that I already have the 2 male rams and 7 peper corys (+2 Sterbai that were given to me), and I need to remove them all from my 20 gallons because my GF wants an Apisto in that one so I planned on building the stocking of the 45 around them the most possible.

Could I cut the numbers somewhere else in the list ?

I guess I could rehome the 2 Sterbai but they're so nice looking compared to my Pepered.

As for the 2 rams, I'd really like to keep them, so far they're my favorite fellows.

Ah nevermind lol it's busy but I'd be comfortable with it

TClare

The thing is the rams spend most of the time at or near the bottom and will feed there mostly. So 2 rams, 14 corydoras and a pleco seems rather a lot for the bottom. Perhaps you should just keep the ones you already have. And for schooling fish I think one or two different types would be better than three. Yes, the fish in the video are N.mortenthaleri, I think they are overall more red than the beckfords, have a different stripe pattern and are smaller I believe (would have to check), and perhaps a bit more delicate.

DrPatate

Ah nevermind lol it's busy but I'd be comfortable with it

The thing is the rams spend most of the time at or near the bottom and will feed there mostly. So 2 rams, 14 corydoras and a pleco seems rather a lot for the bottom. Perhaps you should just keep the ones you already have. And for schooling fish I think one or two different types would be better than three. Yes, the fish in the video are N.mortenthaleri, I think they are overall more red than the beckfords, have a different stripe pattern and are smaller I believe (would have to check), and perhaps a bit more delicate.
Okay, I will not add more Sterbai. The idea was to get them a schoal since it is said they don't shoal with different species, but so far the 2 sterbai in my 20 seem to be doing quite fine with the pepered. I won't add more.

If I get only 2 schools instead of three, I think I will have to make a photoshop montage to myself to see the combination I prefer hehe ... or I'll see which ones are available when it's time to buy them!

If I go with 2 schools instead of 3, should I stay with 10 and 10, or I could do something like 12-13-14 ?

As for the introduction order feat quarantine, should I proceed like I imagined above ?

Oh, and by "the ones you already have" did you mean the corys you already have (plus a pleco) or the bottom feeders I already have (so no pleco) ?

Noroomforshoe

Definitly choose only 2 schoolers, pencils, cardinals, rummynose.
Probobly skip the pleco, I loved my clown, he lived 11 years long. But I only saw him if I sat in front of the tank for a couple minutes. But if you do get a clown pleco, get real driftwood for him.
If you get pearl gourami add them after the tank is well established, they are sensitive.

DrPatate

I'll sure have real driftwood, I plan on having lot of it. But I might skip the pleco if it's a bad idea. As for sitting in front of the tank for minutes, I do so already, even sometimes up to an hour, just staring, looking at each fish behavior, what they do of their day you know.

So only 2 schools. Will most probably be Cardinals and Rummynoses. How many of each should I get ? And let's say I replace those two species with nano schoolers, maybe CPD and Chili Rasboras, would they become snack and if not how much should I put ? (not on top of cardinals and rummynoses, but instead of)

As for the PG once the tank is well established, do you think it would be a problem if I put them in after the Bolivian have been ithere for a while ? Like, will the rams have already found their territories and will see the PG as intruders, or the fact that the Gouramis will stay in the top part should be okay ? Or should I rescape the whole tank so that the Rams are too busy finding a new territory to deal with the PG ?

Motherlovebetta

I have never read anything about PG being aggressive with other fish species. The CPDs may hide a lot with that big of centerpiece fish. I’ve been looking at getting CPDs for awhile and keep shying away. I’ve read they can be sensitive, need a really established tank, can be hard to feed. I can’t imagine them with my pearl gourami who are pretty aggressive eaters. Someone else may have had luck with this i dont know? Also, just thinking visually, they are both very spotty (PG&CPD) if you like the size of the CPD you could look at something like an emerald rasbora with lines as opposed to spots. You could still get more of them they only get about an inch I believe. Aquahuna (i dont know if you are in the states) has fairly cheap large packs of schooling fish as well as corys and plecos and they have $10 flat rate shipping I think. If you stare at your tank get a pleco, they hide but they are just so cute you won’t be sorry when they wiggle out of hiding.

NickTheFish007

Hey guys, what would you guys think of this stocking for a 45 gallon tall (36x12 , 24 tall) very planted with lots of caves, driftwoods and hiding spots. Sand Substrate. Would use a Seachem Tital 110 (plus maybe a sponge filter ?)

- 3-4x Pearl Gouramis
- 6-10x small Tetras / Rasboras / Red Pencilfish
- 9x Corydoras
- 2x males Bolivian Rams

+

(one of the following)

1x Nannacara Anomala
1x Laetacara Curviceps
1x Anomalochromis thomasi

The 2x males Bolivian Rams cannot go, as well as the Corydoras, as I already have them in a 20 and plan of putting them there. So far they're peaceful no agression at all. I'd really like not to change the Pearl Gouramis (I know they're not American), unless we could find another medium-size gracious top-layer fish.

I'm also open to suggestion :)

I'd prefer avoid Apistos for this one though.

Thanks!
Tetras and Corys. Nice and simple and pretty! :)

Pfrozen

the pencils are not schooling fish so meh, we all have our own stocking opinions it seems

I think a better question would be are you overstocked?

MacZ

Do you know what's the difference between the Coral Red and the Beckfords and why the former are so expensive ?
Yes, the fish in the video are N.mortenthaleri, I think they are overall more red than the beckfords, have a different stripe pattern and are smaller I believe (would have to check), and perhaps a bit more delicate.

Nannostomus mortenthaleri were originally part of the species complex of N. marginatus, but later described as a separate species.
The price is that high because they haven't been bred in commercially interesting numbers yet and their habitat is relatively small in comparison to N. marginatus, N. beckfordi or, the one with the biggest distribution (from Guyana to Peru and Colombia), N. eques.

Search Results Nannostomus — Seriously Fish

Have fun researching. I'd also look up all the other prospective species for your tank there.

TClare

the pencils are not schooling fish so meh, we all have our own stocking opinions it seems

I think a better question would be are you overstocked?
It is strange you say that as my pencilfish school more tightly than any of my tetras. It might be because there are some large angelfish in the tank with them, but the tetras are in the same tank. The emperor tetras do not school at all.

MacZ

It is strange you say that as my pencilfish school more tightly than any of my tetras. It might be because there are some large angelfish in the tank with them, but the tetras are in the same tank. The emperor tetras do not school at all.

Definitely because of your Angels. Emperors don't have to be afraid of those, most pencils have to.

New Aquarium Stocking Threads

Latest Aquarium Threads

Top Bottom