What Do You Think About Hybrid Fish? - Page 2

Demeter

Coptapia said:
Agreed, and by the same rules domestic varieties of Platies and Swordtails shouldn’t be called those either...
So really, most the fish in pet stores should not be sold as a specific species unless wild caught or coming with a pedigree

Coptapia

Demeter said:
So really, most the fish in pet stores should not be sold as a specific species unless wild caught or coming with a pedigree
Only the hybrids. It doesn’t bother me, I was just extrapolating the idea that it’s technically incorrect to call a hybrid by the name of one of its parent species.

Coptapia

Rtessy said:
Yes, but it's still not us, therefore we and our species is dead. Extinct. Yes it evolved, but into a different species, and while it is a continuation, the old species is still technically extinct.
Whatever. So when do we suddenly become a different species, given that evolution occurs in imperceptible tiny changes?

Coradee

Let’s not stray off topic please, the discussion is hybrid fish not man’s extinction

Rtessy

What would be a good way (aside from genetic testing) to determine whether or not a fish is pure? Even wild caught ones, mainly endlers/guppies/other similar livebearers, may be hybridized due to the changing climate (look at those Japanese pufferfish, lots of poisoning is expected due to hybridization between an extremely toxic and less toxic one, and the hybrids look like the less toxic one).
I think it is important to keep ''pure" species as well as hybrids, since the hybridization seems inevitable in some areas. As long as we are somewhat responsible and keep some pure genetics, why not mess around with the genetics and have some fun?

DoubleDutch

Rtessy said:
What would be a good way (aside from genetic testing) to determine whether or not a fish is pure? Even wild caught ones, mainly endlers/guppies/other similar livebearers, may be hybridized due to the changing climate (look at those Japanese pufferfish, lots of poisoning is expected due to hybridization between an extremely toxic and less toxic one, and the hybrids look like the less toxic one).
I think it is important to keep ''pure" species as well as hybrids, since the hybridization seems inevitable in some areas. As long as we are somewhat responsible and keep some pure genetics, why not mess around with the genetics and have some fun?
Or don't and have fun as well.

Rtessy

DoubleDutch said:
Or don't and have fun as well.
Well, I guess that's also an option

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom