What Do You Think About Hybrid Fish? - Page 2

Coptapia

Well, I think that's a bit presumptuous. The heat death of the universe will kill everything
Plus, we'll probably turn into a new species soon too, evolution just keeps on going.

Turning into a new species is survival, not extinction.

Rtessy

Turning into a new species is survival, not extinction.
Depends on the definition I think, as technically our species will be extinct and a new one will take our place. I believe it is both progress and extinction.

Coptapia

Because you said you were playing devil's advocate? Why are you not playing all of a sudden? Don't you know the meaning of your own words?

In common parlance, the term devil's advocate describes someone who, given a certain point of view, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with (or simply an alternative position from the accepted norm), for the sake of debate or to explore the thought further.

Jeez, what are you smoking today? I hate hybrids. I was playing devils advocate in saying that they don’t need to be fit for life in the wild, because they’re not in the wild.

Your attempts to get me worked up are not working btw. You’d need to be a lot more abrasive than that.

DoubleDutch

Guys we are allowed to have our opinions don't we? I don't like (man made) hybrids for a bit and I don't like man made colorvariaties as well. Just my opinion.
l think Mother Nature did a great job with the beautiful natural fish.

Demeter

GMO, fish bred for physical deformities and otherwise dyed fish are a no-go for me. Crossbreeds are fine so long as they’re not being sold as a pure species. I myself have mutt African cichlids that are perfectly healthy and look beautiful. Some I raised on accident, others on purpose. Let’s not forget the ever popular betta splendens, a man made species.

A fish is a fish and I will treat hybrids like any other.

Coptapia

Let’s not forget the ever popular betta splendens, a man made species.

Betta splendens is not a man made species. It existed in nature and we discovered it. It still exists in the wild. All we’ve done is produce longer fins, different colours etc, by line breeding and hybridising with other Betta species.

Demeter

Betta splendens is not a man made species. It existed in nature and we discovered it. It still exists in the wild. All we’ve done is produce longer fins, different colours etc, by line breeding and hybridising with other Betta species.

From my understanding, the colors and fin lengths were created by mixing different species (hybridization yes?) and selective breeding. So in reality, the pet store bettas should not be called betta splendens at all then.

DoubleDutch

From my understanding, the colors and fin lengths were created by mixing different species (hybridization yes?) and selective breeding. So in reality, the pet store bettas should not be called betta splendens at all then.
Betta cf splendens?

Coptapia

Agreed, and by the same rules domestic varieties of Platies and Swordtails shouldn’t be called those either...

Rtessy

No. Our species is changing imperceptibly over time. That’s how evolution usually works. The “new one that will take our place” will be us, evolved.
Yes, but it's still not us, therefore we and our species is dead. Extinct. Yes it evolved, but into a different species, and while it is a continuation, the old species is still technically extinct.

Demeter

Agreed, and by the same rules domestic varieties of Platies and Swordtails shouldn’t be called those either...

So really, most the fish in pet stores should not be sold as a specific species unless wild caught or coming with a pedigree

Coptapia

So really, most the fish in pet stores should not be sold as a specific species unless wild caught or coming with a pedigree

Only the hybrids. It doesn’t bother me, I was just extrapolating the idea that it’s technically incorrect to call a hybrid by the name of one of its parent species.

Coptapia

Yes, but it's still not us, therefore we and our species is dead. Extinct. Yes it evolved, but into a different species, and while it is a continuation, the old species is still technically extinct.

Whatever. So when do we suddenly become a different species, given that evolution occurs in imperceptible tiny changes?

Coradee

Let’s not stray off topic please, the discussion is hybrid fish not man’s extinction

Rtessy

What would be a good way (aside from genetic testing) to determine whether or not a fish is pure? Even wild caught ones, mainly endlers/guppies/other similar livebearers, may be hybridized due to the changing climate (look at those Japanese pufferfish, lots of poisoning is expected due to hybridization between an extremely toxic and less toxic one, and the hybrids look like the less toxic one).
I think it is important to keep ''pure" species as well as hybrids, since the hybridization seems inevitable in some areas. As long as we are somewhat responsible and keep some pure genetics, why not mess around with the genetics and have some fun?

DoubleDutch

What would be a good way (aside from genetic testing) to determine whether or not a fish is pure? Even wild caught ones, mainly endlers/guppies/other similar livebearers, may be hybridized due to the changing climate (look at those Japanese pufferfish, lots of poisoning is expected due to hybridization between an extremely toxic and less toxic one, and the hybrids look like the less toxic one).
I think it is important to keep ''pure" species as well as hybrids, since the hybridization seems inevitable in some areas. As long as we are somewhat responsible and keep some pure genetics, why not mess around with the genetics and have some fun?
Or don't and have fun as well.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Aysu
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mariah98
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics