What Do You Think About Hybrid Fish?

CaptainAquatics

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi! I currently have two “hybrid” cichlids. I have a flowerhorn and a Blood Parrot Cichlid. I don’t have a problem with hybrids individually as fish, so I don’t mind having them and my Blood Parrot is actually my favorite fish. I know some people have issues with hybrids and I want to know why. I under stand it can cause deformities but if the fish can live happily I don’t see a problem with it. I think it’s cruel when people don’t give the hybrids a fair chance at life because they “don’t support” the copanies. I understand that when you buy a hybrid it will give the companies money but what about that fish. It will not survive if it doesn’t have a good home and are you really willing to kill a fish just because you don’t want to “support” a company. Let me know your guys opinions.

Fashooga

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm actually ok with them, but some of the hybrids are terrible, the blood parrot flower horn mix is one ugly fish. Whoever thought that combo would work ought to be put in prison as a menace to society.

Accents

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think if they're so deformed that they can't function, it's unethical, as is the case with some blood parrots. If they can live fine, I don't really see a problem with it. (For example, some blood parrots will live perfectly fine and even defend themselves with a messed-up mouth. I know mine can do that.) I think the main issue is that when there is a hybrid, people tend to just do whatever they want with it, such as chopping off their tails, dyeing them, etc, and that seems to happen more with man-made fish than other ones.

Aquaman9101

Reaction score
As long as the animals are healthy and clearly labelled if sold, I'm indifferent. For exsmple, lots of CA hybrid cichlids are fine specimens that sometimes even surpass their ancestors in beauty and health.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't like hybrids and don't understand why humans aren't satisfied with the awesome creatures Mother Nature made herself. Btw that also counts for linebrwd colormorphs, genetic altered or dyed fish btw.

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I draw the line at dyed fish, but that's a separate topic
Hybrids are always contentious. Whether it's fish, humans or other animals, and even plants and fruit/vegetables.

I think it's quite interesting to see what science, and in some regards nature, can come up with. That's not me condoning animal experimentation, but more the "happy accidents" are quite interesting. In some regards, it's kind of the Theory of Evolution in a way (Don't go off at me, just trying to make an analogy), like the way some live-bearers have been known to cross pollinate.

Off-topic, but even selective breeding has its dangers.

As long as the animal is healthy and doesn't suffer, I don't have a particular problem with it.

Pretty interesting list of hybrids (some natural, some man made) List of genetic hybrids - Wikipedia

Aquaman9101

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
I don't like hybrids and don't understand why humans aren't satisfied with the awesome creatures Mother Nature made herself. Btw that also counts for linebrwd colormorphs, genetic altered or dyed fish btw.
You do make a good point. However, we cannot claI'm to be naturalists, for we often clump together animals and plants who would never encounter one another with fake ornaments in a clear box. I do admit that there are plenty of selections of natural creatures, however, and hybridasation/line breeding are unnecessary.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquaman9101 said:
You do make a good point. However, we cannot claI'm to be naturalists, for we often clump together animals and plants who would never encounter one another with fake ornaments in a clear box. I do admit that there are plenty of selections of natural creatures, however, and hybridasation/line breeding are unnecessary.
I don't claI'm to be a naturalist.

Aquaman9101

Reaction score
DoubleDutch said:
I don't claI'm to be a naturalist.
Sorry, nevermind the naturalist remark (for lack of a better word). What I should have said is that while I do agree with you with certain points, I do not agree completely. I apologise if I insulted you.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquaman9101 said:
Sorry, nevermind the naturalist remark (for lack of a better word). What I should have said is that while I do agree with you with certain points, I do not agree completely. I apologise if I insulted you.
Oh no you didn't hahaha.
But opinions were asked and I gave mine hahaha. No one has to agree with my opinion (There will be a lot that don't).

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I do not own any hybrid fish, only single species, even my bettas as well.

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It depends on the hybrid some hybrids result in sterile offspring and other genetic effects but there are occasions when hybrids produce really strong offspring. This is called hybrid vigor and its really hit or miss.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
H Farnsworth said:
It depends on the hybrid some hybrids result in sterile offspring and other genetic effects but there are occasions when hybrids produce really strong offspring. This is called hybrid vigor and its really hit or miss.
Mules for one.

Massalo85

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Fish have existed for 100's of millions if not billions of years they are all hybrids most happen overtime in the wild some are from human intervention. I don't see an issue with them has long as they are healthy.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fanatic said:
I do not own any hybrid fish, only single species, even my bettas as well.
Well, your betta's are a hybrid species. Hybrids of splendens, imbellis, and smaragdina, if not more.
That's one thing I don't get; most people don't seem to count the "tamer" looking hybrids as actual hybrids, even if they do have serious health problems due to either the hybridization or domestication.
I'm indifferent, if I like the way a fish looks, then I like it. I like the way some hybrids look, I don't like the way other hybrids look. Since we have so many hybridized species now, it doesn't matter to me much

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Rtessy said:
Well, your betta's are a hybrid species. Hybrids of splendens, imbellis, and smaragdina, if not more.
That's one thing I don't get; most people don't seem to count the "tamer" looking hybrids as actual hybrids, even if they do have serious health problems due to either the hybridization or domestication.
I'm indifferent, if I like the way a fish looks, then I like it. I like the way some hybrids look, I don't like the way other hybrids look. Since we have so many hybridized species now, it doesn't matter to me much
I was referring more to hybrid fish such as long fin neons, or long fin tetras, not a fish branched off from another species.

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Fanatic said:
I was referring more to hybrid fish such as long fin neons, or long fin tetras, not a fish branched off from another species.
Well those are selectively bred fish, not hybrid fish. A hybrid is a cross of one or more species. And technically the common domesticated betta is a longfin, so I'm not sure your statement is quite true

Coptapia

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Massalo85 said:
Fish have existed for 100's of millions if not billions of years they are all hybrids most happen overtime in the wild some are from human intervention. I don't see an issue with them has long as they are healthy.
Most fish are not hybrids at all. Hybridisation is uncommon in nature.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really wasn't wild about Hybrids and wasn't interested in keeping one until I happened upon a 1" Red Texas FH. I made a hasty impulsive buy, not totally thinking out long term housing plans. Within a few months he grew to 4" and began to go Central American on his African Cichlid tankmates. He now resides in his semI private 65 gal. tank. Located in my wife's art studio. I've come to accept Hybrids, but still prefer pure bloods. BTW, the Red Texas FH is currently 10" long.
20190329_171103.jpg
20181024_200511.jpg

New Threads