What do you suggest for 1 x 10g and 2 x 5g tanks?

1. redgal Member Member

After the demise of my two lovely betta boys, I purchased two more tanks and need some stocking advice/suggestions. Here's what I will have once they are set-up:

(a) 5g Purple Mini-bow for my two year old daughter with a purple/blue mermaid theme ( purple grave, 3 purple/blue silk plants, sunken plastic treasure and shells and a fibre-optic sparkling mermaid)...don't laugh she will love it! For this I thought of either a male blue/red betta or a female betta or some harlequin rasboras or neon tetras or maybe a betta plus 2-3 rasboras ( but I think this might be overload). I personally want a betta but my daugter loves little flashy fish ;)

(b) a 5g tank for me, definitely for one betta. I was wondering whether i could add either some rasboras or peppered cory's to this tank or whether it would be too much. My LFS has two bettas who live in community tanks successfully so I would probably go with one of these bettas. In this tank i have natural coloured gravel, rock caves with buddha statues and silk plants.

(c) a 10g for me and hubby. Thinking of using either black or sand-colored gravel, bunch of silk green plants and some driftwood. No idea what fish other than the harelquin rasboras, zebra danios and peppered cories looked nice ( so did the blackskirt tetras and clown loaches but I think these are too big for my tank). I'm also tempted to put a betta in here too...but I think this might me overkill and my first preference in this tank is to open it up to other fish.

My choice in fish is somewhat limited. We have a local pet store with lots of variety but the tanks look pretty dirty; my lfs is pretty good, clean tanks and nice guy with good healthier looking fish but not quite as much variety ; or I could go to the nearby city 2 hours away to see what they have.

Any advice or suggestions? Thank you!

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

With the 5 gallon tanks, I would stick to one betta in each. Overstocking will quickly lead to water quality issues. Depending on the temperament of your bettas, you may be able to add some ghost shrimp with them. My Cowboy doesn't bother the ones that he lives with, but he's still small and this may change as he grows.

For the 10 gallon, harlequin rasboras are a great choice. You could try some smaller cories like pandas. Skip the blackskirts and clown loaches; both are too large for a 10 gallon.

3. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You could always look at ordering your fish online for variety...

4. redgal Member Member

Thanks! Could I put say 3-4 harlequin rasboras, 2-3 peppered cories, and 2-3 of another fish in my 10g or is that too much?

Mommybaby295 that is a really good idea - I live way out in the bush out here so I'll see if I can find any Canadian places that will ship out fish to me.

In my daughters 5g , could I put say 3-4 rasboras or neon tetras or are they too big for a 5g? ( no betta just rasboras or something), my other option is one or two dwarf puffers?