What Do You Recommend For A Mineral Supplement To Add To Water For Plants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I do water changes on my tanks and I always use either distilled water or the reverse osmosis or whatever (lol) water you get from those machines near grocery stores - like $1.75 for 5 gallons.

Both of those sources leave very little, if any, minerals in the water. So I need to re-mineralize.

I bought some Fresh Trace - which looks like it gets the minerals you need for fish back in there. But what about my floating plants and moss balls? I seem to remember another Seachem Product, but 2 secs googling did not find it.

So any recommended mineral supplements I can pour in the water when I change it out to make sure the plants AND the fish have all the minerals they need? Snails as well lol.

PS, side question, just received 7 ramhorn snails - directions said put a cuttlebone in the tanks to help their shells. But if I am putting in those mineral supplements it should not be needed correct? I still don't mind putting in a cuttlebone, but might it hurt my fish?

Thanks for any help everyone! I really appreciate having a great group of knowledgeable people to help out!

Authmal

Valued Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you don't use tap? It usually has, depending on where you live, sufficient minerals in it that it doesn't need much in the way of supplementation.

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In addition to minerals, you'll need nitrogen and phosphorus (which technically can be minerals but aren't really thought of as). These two are the most important macronutrients for plants.

I agree that tap will cover the most trace of trace elements that are not in most fertilizers. Other macro and micronutrients will need to be added. I recommend Nilocg Thrive for fertilizer and Nilocg's GH booster for remineralization. This'll allow you to combine shipping.

I also high recommend reading this and the other links on the top horizontal bar, very informative and I think it'll help you a lot.
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/fertilisers-why-bother.html

OP
H

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Is there a reason you don't use tap? It usually has, depending on where you live, sufficient minerals in it that it doesn't need much in the way of supplementation.

I tested my tap and it seemed to have levels of ammonia, nitrites and nitrates that scared me about adding it with the fish. Its tap + Prime, and hope the BB can do their work quick enough, on the one hand, or putting in distilled or RO water and adding in some minerals on the other hand. For the latter the nitrates start at zero as well.

OP
H

Homeslice

Well Known Member
Reaction score
In addition to minerals, you'll need nitrogen and phosphorus (which technically can be minerals but aren't really thought of as). These two are the most important macronutrients for plants.

I agree that tap will cover the most trace of trace elements that are not in most fertilizers. Other macro and micronutrients will need to be added. I recommend Nilocg Thrive for fertilizer and Nilocg's GH booster for remineralization. This'll allow you to combine shipping.

I also high recommend reading this and the other links on the top horizontal bar, very informative and I think it'll help you a lot.
https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/fertilisers-why-bother.html

Thank you Mak! I'll check out that link as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom