What Do You Prefer

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by shiv234, Aug 3, 2017.

1. shiv234

shiv234Well Known MemberMember

i got a new 30 gallon aquairum for my zebra danios. Should i use an internal filter or hob filter with a sponge filter for bb to grow on so i can really clean the hob or internal filters good. What are your preferences for this internal or hob

2. fishgame6

fishgame6Valued MemberMember

hob in my opinion

3. sfsamm

sfsammWell Known MemberMember

Hob is way better if you want my opinion. You have a whole lot more options on getting the media you want, more area for bb, easier to clean and best part they aren't taking up valuable tank space.

4. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

Canister, but hob if that's the only option.

5. Cranks_Tanks

Cranks_TanksValued MemberMember

For a 30 gallon, a HOB is probably your best bet. An aquaclear jam packed with biorings or other ceramic media will be plenty unless you like to stock on the heavy side. Another great thing about ceramic media is that you almost never have to clean it. You'll probably want a sponge at least for mechanical filtration however.

6. OP
    OP
    shiv234

i can get a canister but i don't think that 15 zebra danio would need it

7. Fish-whisperValued MemberMember

Really ? why would they need an HOB or internal filter ? Canister filter is the way to go for more reasons than just filtering, they don't add noise & vibrations to aquarium. The more noise and vibrations you eliminate from the inside of aquarium the happier your fish will be.

8. toolman

toolmanWell Known MemberMember

I run two hob's on all my tanks except my 40b high tech project (going to use a inline co2 reactor).

Two small hob's would create adequate filtration, provide a huge space for media, provide a safety factor, and you can use one for your quarantine tank.

9. fishboy345New MemberMember

canister is the way to go

10. tunafax

tunafaxWell Known MemberMember

Why not both? I currently really like my AC 110 with a small underpowered sponge filter in the corner where the AC can't really reach.

The pump is rated for 5x less the tank size lol, but it's only there for that hard to reach corner. Cost be like 6$ for filter and pump. Doubles as a crudr airstone.

11. OP
    OP
    shiv234

actually i might do that and use both....i got about 10 unused filters so i trying to use them

na...i wouldn't need it for these fishes since they wouldn't have that much bio-load so the canister would be wasted...and then to i got both internal and hob filters that are not being used.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2017
  12. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlfWell Known MemberMember

No such thing as too much filtration.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice