What do you like to read?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Meenu, Mar 27, 2010.

?

Types of books?

1. Self-help/improvement

8 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. Business

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. Classics

13 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. Romance

11 vote(s)
    16.9%
  5. Horror

12 vote(s)
    18.5%
  6. Mystery/suspense

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  7. Children's

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  8. I don't read

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  9. Other non-fiction

28 vote(s)
    43.1%
  10. Other fiction

29 vote(s)
    44.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

What do you like to read? Please share your faves if you want. You can pick more than 1 category.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  2. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

romance for me :)
    glad you got the poll you wanted LOL ;)

3. OP
    OP
    Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

It was like I forgot to use the forum! I was totally ??? !
    What kind of romance? Historical, contemporary, suspense, paranormal?

4. Shawnie

ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

ANY of them....especially the "she had a baby" and "daddy finds out later" or all the old western chief takes the girl ...diana palmer is great also!

5. Treefork

TreeforkWell Known MemberMember

Wheres the science fiction/fantasy option?

6. konstargirl

konstargirlWell Known MemberMember

I read Manga. It's awesome! <3

7. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Horror here.
    Stephen King, Dean Koontz....some other unknown authors.

8. Chris123

Chris123Well Known MemberMember

Non Fiction for me i like reading about famous people fish and types of animals that are out there

CB

9. Elodea

ElodeaWell Known MemberMember

Mmm hmm. Normally, its aquarium guides and fish books. My favorites are insect handbooks, and the all-time best: Audubon field guides!

Especially An Audubon Field Guide on Insects and Spiders of North America, An Audubon Field Guide on Birds of North America - Western Region, and An Audubon Field Guide to Fish of North America. Very suspenseful (hmm, what does the Chinese mantis (my favorite animal) eat? *starts sweating* Oh, large insects and sometimes small reptiles and mammals. *whew*

No, seriously, why are you laughing?

10. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Science Fiction fantasy - Jim Butcher, Eileen Wilks, Kim Harrison, David Eddings
    Fantasy - David B. Coe , Terry Goodkind
    Mystery romance - Patricia Briggs,
    Medical Mysteries - Gwen Hunter
    Too many to name. I've always got a book to read and usually one in the car too :party0049:
    Carol

11. OP
    OP
    Meenu

MeenuFishlore VIPMember

Oops, I had sci-fi in my original list that I couldn't get to Poll correctly, sorry!

I read a variety, but mostly light reading (my job involves a whole bunch of heavy, dark reading, so my leisure reading has to be light). So this eliminates non-fiction history, Oprah's Book of the Month picks, etc.

My favorite book series is JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood books. They are pretty grown-up, though, and not for everyone.

edit: what is manga?

12. Gouramiguy17

Gouramiguy17Well Known MemberMember

I like sci-fi, mystery, and nonfiction(about fish). My fav author is Clive cussler and the Dirk Pitt series.

13. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

That's another I like. Said there were too many to list LOL
    Carol

14. Treefork

My favorite at the time is Steven Erickson and the Malazan Book of the Fallen Series. Also like George RR Martin (though not his politics) and wish he would hurry up and finish his 5+ year delayed next book.

15. Treefork

Wasn't sure myself so I googled it and found this on a site.

"Manga is the Japanese word for comics. It is used in the English-speaking world as a generic term for all comic books and graphic novels that were originally published in Japan. However, Manga is often considered an artistic and storytelling style that can also encompass non-Japanese works. The term AmeriManga is sometimes used to refer to comics created by American artists in a Manga style. Manwha is the Korean equivalent of that idea."

16. anunez91Valued MemberMember

The Lost Years of Merlin series by T.A. Barron

anyone ever heard of it? they are amazing books if your into that wizard, fantasy type stuff, i just think its an amazing series, also, anything Tom Clancy, hahaha, im the only one i know who reads Tom Clancy novels.

17. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I wouldn't say fantasy is my favorite genre, but one of my all time favorites is the Sword of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin. Of course, my other favorite books are High Fidelity (fiction), Princess Bride (fantasy/fiction), Whatever It Takes (nonfiction), The Hours (fiction/literature), and The Chrysanthemum and the Sword (academic/anthropology/nonfiction).

18. gremlin

gremlinWell Known MemberMember

I read a lot also. I have a whole library in my room - so many books so little time...
    Science Fiction/Fantasy category - my favorite author/series is Anne McCaffrey and the Dragonriders of Pern books. I think I may actually have all of her books... I also like the Shannara books and some of the other Terry Brooks books.
    I also like Jean Auel's Earth's Children series (starts with Clan of the Cave Bear).
    I also like historical fiction-type stories. Example - The Work and the Glory by Gerald Lund, and Children of the Promise by Dean Hughes. Also, works of fiction of what might happen - Millenial Glory series by Wendie Edwards. And some mystery - G G Vandagriff has a series - some of the titles are Cankered Roots, Of Deadly Descent, Tangled Roots. Then, I also like to read books designed for teen and pre-teen. C B Anderson has a mystery series - Book of Mormon Sleuth. Michele Bell does Latter Day Spies, Chris Heimerdinger has a whole series Tennis Shoes Adventure. Then there are the Inkheart books by Cornelia Funke and the Golden and Grey books by Louise Arnold, and Sue Harrison's Mother Earth Father Sky books. And of course, Harry Potter and the Twilight series...

And no, this is not all of the books I own or have read. Books and Jigsaw puzzles are two of my most favorite pasttimes...

19. sirdarksol

sirdarksolFishlore LegendMember

My favorite subject; literature.
    Sci-fi/Fantasy is my favorite genre. Currently reading The Difference Engine by William Gibson. The Coldfire Trilogy is my favorite fantasy series. I read a ridiculously wide range of sf/f, though. About the only things I haven't gotten into are The Wheel of Time (he was a creative guy, but it was like we were back in Victorian England and he was getting paid by the word, like Dickens), and (sorry Gremlin), Harry Potter and Twilight. For the former, I find Rowlings' writing to be poor (though again, a brilliant mind), and for the latter, real vampires don't sparkle ;D (That's the horror buff in me talking.)
    Speaking of which; horror. I'm both a traditionalist and a modernist. Matthew Lewis, Robert Louis Stevenson (darn you Virginia Wolff, for getting his work ignored for so long), H.P. Lovecraft, Poe, King (though his fantasy is better than his horror), Bradbury, White Wolf's fiction (some of the best horror stories are the vignettes in their game books), etc...
    Non-fiction; I read a lot of spiritual books, Buddhist, Shinto, and Christian, primarily. Books about Eastern martial arts are often on my list, too. Toss in bits of history for fun, and that about covers it.

20. jgon_

jgon_Well Known MemberMember

Pretty much all I read is nonfiction. Since I'm a science junkie, its usually reading about astronomy, evolution, environmental issues etc. The other books in my collection generally consist of books on atheism and skepticism.

Pretty much the only fiction I read nowadays are my beloved Douglas Adams books. I could reread anything from the Hitchhiker's or Dirk Gently series endlessly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice