What do you know about hippichthys aculeatus?

PeaP

Hello.
I am doing some research on hippichthys aculeatus-type of freash water pipe fish and it seems like there is nothing about this species on internet...can you please write anything you know food, size, habbits, how many should be kept together...
Thanks a lot

PeterFishKeepin

did you see the links we provided, they have info about them. no????

PeaP

did you see the links we provided, they have info about them. no????
Yes the links are very good, don't get me wrong:)
But in my local pet store they told me that I should only read articles about hippichthys aculeatus, because they are as they said very different from other pipes....thank you again I just read them and they are very good...in my country I couldn't find those articles

PeterFishKeepin

ok well sorry im not sure perhaps some books might have info otherwise go back to your pet store and ask them to find you some info.

PeaP

ok well sorry im not sure perhaps some books might have info otherwise go back to your pet store and ask them to find you some info.
They said that they haven't found anything yet and if I will find something they will be happy to know
Great articles again thank you....do you think they can be kept alone?

coralbandit

My understanding of Pipes is that they would do best alone in most cases.
I was pretty picky to choose a tank mate that would not compete against them.

PeaP

My understanding of Pipes is that they would do best alone in most cases.
I was pretty picky to choose a tank mate that would not compete against them.
Ok thank you:)

coralbandit

By alone I am thinking you mean they will be the only sp. in the tank.
Not just one of them by itself.

PeaP

By alone I am thinking you mean they will be the only sp. in the tank.
Not just one of them by itself.
And how many should be kept together...do they need to be in groups or is a pair enough?

chromedome52

Fishbase says there is no such species as Hippichthys aculeatus. However, Microphis aculeatus is a well-known species found in salt, brackish, and fresh waters. Look at that species and see if it's the one you've got.

PeaP

Fishbase says there is no such species as Hippichthys aculeatus. However, Microphis aculeatus is a well-known species found in salt, brackish, and fresh waters. Look at that species and see if it's the one you've got.
Thanks....People in LFS said that that is definitely the right species, but I assume that they are wrong because I haven't found it either

coralbandit

My money rolls with Chromedome52.
My link also had half your sp. name [ Hippichthys aculeatus ] so it would make sense the common guy screwed it up.
They also had Hippichthys penicillus in the link so another mix up also maybe.
Again my money rolls with Chromedome52.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DirtyWater
Replies
Views
NC122606
Replies
Views
Ryno