What do you keep with your arowana?

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hey guys and gals,

I am in the midst of building an arowana tank as some of you may know.

I am curious to know what you all keep with your arowana.

I will not harass you if you have an odd combination.

I would just like to know what you have with them and how they are getting along so that I can get ideas for my own.

Thanks
Larry

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I really don't remember anyone saying they keep Arowana's here because they need really large tanks, 200+ gallons. but if a had a tank big enought i would do Red belly Pacu's so they wouldn't get eaten

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well I am building a 180 so I will only have the arowana until it gets too big.

I have kept pacus and I am not a big fan of them. They get a pretty dark and dull color when they get older.

swervo513

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well consider this.

I am buying a 3-4 inch arowana when the time comes.

So In a 180 gallon tank would look pretty empty with 3-4 inch fish alone. So, what do you recommend I grow the arowana with? I was thinking a synodontis. Perhaps a teacup stingray. I was also thinking a pair of green severums. Once again, Ill deal with the size issue once it gets too big. I was looking for a colorful schooling fish to keep with the arowana. Tinfoil barbs are nice but will take away from the silver scales of the arowana.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think you will be hard pressed to find a schooling fish that won't be munched on by the arowana, since you don't like the tinfoil barbs.

Jeffcameron

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm just going to throw this one out there (I really don't know so I'm sure people will correct me if wrong)...what about 4-5 Bala Sharks as schooling fish?

I know they get quite big but not sure what their growth rate is. Maybe you could get them at around 5inches so they are bigger than your new arowana and hopefully they stay bigger for a year or so. Once they've all grown up though the tank will be a bit crowded as I think Bala's get in excess of 12inches. But if the sole purpose is to provide more to look at in your tank whilst your Arowana grows it could be an option. Then you could sell or re-home the Bala's when the Arowana gets too big. The only thing is it's not always easy to re-home large fish so maybe check with your LFS to see if they'd take them back when they grow.

I have no experience in keeping Bala's with such an aggresive fish though. I was just throwing the idea out there as you haven't had many suggestions.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom