what do you guys think of this filtration method?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by ILikeFishies, Dec 26, 2012.

1. ILikeFishies

ILikeFishies Valued Member Member

Ok so one thing i've noticed about my friends 5 gallon is that it has a kind of filter where its just some filter media in a little container like thingy. And its just sitting there in the corner, and it looks like its working. ANd it seemed like a very cheap and good way to establish the nitrogen cycle as the bacteria could live and produce in that filter media :eek:
    So then, i was thinking, My 15 gallon is run by a HOB filter BUT the only problem is that the cover has no opening at the back or anything so that i could put my HOB. So what i've been doing since i got this tank was hanging the filter at the front of my tank where there is the opening where you can feed your fish and etc etc.

I've been wanting to get a canister filter BUT wow when i went to some pet shops they were quite costly so what i've been doing to keep the water condition good, is by performing water changes every few days *about 15% of the water* But i've been getting pretty sick of this huge filter blocking the front. So i did some research and i found out about corner filters? Would it be possible for me to pull that off with my 15 gallon? with the number of fish i have inside?
    I could make DIY corner filter, but what iwas planning to do was just getting a container and filling in filter media and just placing it in the corner of my tank. Would that be enough?
    So then i'd be able to take out that HOB filter and i'd be able to look at my fish properly

2. r

reddbelly Valued Member Member

What does the rear portion of the cover look like? Are there rectangular sort of indentations on the flat surface. If so find the one closest to the size of the HOB and remove it. If not, if there is enough room to hang the HOB without interfering with the lights, etc. then you may have to remove what is needed with a cutting tool ( a Dremel or such ).

3. scotty b

scotty b Well Known Member Member

i have a 10 gallon that u use only a corner filter in, it should work fine depending on the air pump/powerhead you have

4. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

i've inspected the rear side of the cover, there doesnt seem to be any indentations, I've considered cutting the cover only problem is, i dont have an cutting tool that would be efficient for it

5. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Can you flip the cover around so that the opening is in the rear, you could then have the filter on the back. You would just need to feed from that side as well. For the size tank and current bio-load, I personally wouldn't do a smaller filter.

If you must get a smaller filter, more frequent water changes will be needed.

Outlaw

6. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

that is what i did, But to be honest it is quite troublesome when it comes to feeding and water changes, So its ok to make one of those corner filters if i do more water changes?

7. outlaw

When you say corner filter, are you talking something like this - http://www.amazon.com/Lee`s-Aquarium-Economy-Corner-Filter/dp/B001F99420

What I would do.
    Run one in each rear corner (total of 2). Do 30-50% water change weekly. Test water regularly to make sure filtration and water changes are effective. Adjust water changes accordingly (as few as 1 per week, more if needed).

Again, this is just what I would do if I were looking to run under filtered. Do you have access (directly or through someone else) to a saw capable of cutting out a slot for the filter in the rear? That woudl be ideal.

Outlaw

**update**
    I would also consider using something similar to this - http://www.amazon.com/Odyssea-Aquar...TF8&qid=1356524521&sr=1-1&keywords=odyssea+ex

I would not use the EX350 as it would likely blow your fish around (350GPH/325LPH) The EX250 would be the largest I would go and even that is likely to be too much unless you can rig it to diffuse better on the output.

I have the EX250 with double sponge filter and have used it on a 10g without fish or scape. It has a strong current for the tank.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

Yes the corner filter is something like that, just without the tube in the middle. And i dont have access to using a saw or know anyone who does =/

And also, the submerged filter and pump, i've seen it in the shops, its not that costly fortunately, But i never really knew how to work it, wheres the pump actually?

9. grfresconero

grfresconero Valued Member Member

The trick is that you connect it to you air pump as the air passes throu the filter it keeps the water clear,
    but the leftovers must be collected by you or put in a snail or/and plecostums

10. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

well i do have malaysian trumpet snails in my tank, i actually thought i cleared them when i changed my gravel lol, but looks like they came back.

I could take a look at the price of that filter but sadly my air pump doesnt work anymore, the power isnt strong enough to blow out air anymore

11. outlaw

Since you would be needing to purchase the air pump plus filter materials. You could compare to the power head filter.

In the amazon one I linked, it is the top piece with the suction cups. For a power head filter, I would look for one around or under 150-175ish gph. This would keep you around the general turnover rate as an HOB. You have to make sure the pump and intake stays under water though.

I do still recommend doing some research on these but something like these may be an option also.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquatop-IF-20...7144&sr=1-7&keywords=internal+aquarium+filter

or

http://www.amazon.com/Rio-Internal-...e=UTF8&qid=1356537648&sr=1-4&keywords=rio+180

(there is also a rio 9)

What is nice about some of them like the rio is you may be able to put other media in the "containers" if needed.

I was searching 'internal aquarium filter', may find other results under 'internal power filter' too.

Hope this helps.
    Outlaw

12. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

well i do have filter media, i got a huge pack of it for free when i bought my tank at the fish store xD, and as for the container i was thinking of just using one of those small little food containers, i'd clean them properly and all.

As for the alternative, would that one pump+filter be enough for my 15 gallon?

13. grfresconero

Absolutelly instead of a food container see if you can use a clear plastic water bottle ,you know the one that you buy to drink purified, cause it`s already disinfected,no petroleum based chemicals to make your fish sick.

14. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

oh right! that would be a better idea. :)
    So do you think it could work?

15. grfresconero

All you have to do is try .

16. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

alright :) I will

17. outlaw

If the container was used to store people food or fish food. You should be OK as it can't have those chemicals in it either (unless they were already used after their main purpose). A water bottle will work too.

I would fill it with filter floss as that would probably be the easiest to get in there.

It looks like you're going to go with a new air pump and make the filter?

Outlaw

18. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

hm i dont really have the funds for a good pump, but i am going to try to make a corner filter. Would it not work without the pump?

19. outlaw

You will have to have something moving the water through the filter in the form of an air pump or power head. Just setting the filter media in the tank will help establish some of the beneficial bacteria but will not perform as a filter by definition.

You can still build the filter part, just keep in mind where you will place the tube for an air pump or how you will attach a power head when the time comes.

Until you get the air pump or power head I wouldn't remove the HOB and even then, I would still run the HOB for a couple weeks unless you can transfer the HOB's filter media to the new filter.

Outlaw

20. OP
    OP
    ILikeFishies

So the air pump is definitely essential in order to make this work?

If that is so then ill have to save up for the air pump. Either that or i could get that filter/pump thing that you sent in the link.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice