what do you guys think of snails?

fishrcool
hi

susitna-flower
Depends on the snails you are talking about. I LOVE my magenta apple snails, and MTS snails, but in one tank I have gotten some pond snails and it bothers me, I hear so many horror stories!

TheEssigs
I think its a love/hate thing with most people. Some people swear they are the greatest, and some people just hate em. I have one black mystery snail. Personally, IMO, ewe.

Its just something that you have to figure out on your own... and I figured out that they are, well... for a lack of a more sophisticated term, just gross.

BUT... If you do get a snail(s) just watch for eggs and either remove them or feed them to the fish in the tank, because you can quickly become overtaken by snails.

capekate
LOL yep, your right.. it is either a LOVE or Hate thing! haha...
I personally would never have snails in my tank. I just do not see what the attraction is towards them.. BUT that is why fishkeeping is so much fun.. there is enough species and fish and inverts for all to find something to their own liking. ;D
~ kate

MrWaxhead
Snail lover here, not for there looks or slimey egg clusters, but for their aid in keeping a happy healthy tank, they are great glass cleaners, and some species burrow in the substrate removing anaerobic bacteria pockets, and making the substrate plant root friendly the same way earthworms do.

As human hand is just to well clumsy to naturally move substrate cleanly and every time you shift large areas of substrate you mess up bacteria balance causing little ammonia triggers which can and do lead to algae. That is why you must do a large water change after messing up large areas of substrate on large plant shifts, or a over cleaning a substrate. If you have to mess with your substrate do it right before a water change!!! Or let the handy little snails do it for you

Isabella
This thread explains well what I think about snails:

Allie
I think that they are interesting...our golden apple snails are pretty cool.

Butterfly
I love Malaysian Trumpet Snails in my sand tanks. they do such a good job of aerating the sand I don't even have to worry about it. Other snails go into the loach tank for a high protein snack
So in my tanks they are either helpers or food
Heres a really good snail article from plant geek

Carol

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DarylB
Replies
Views
ruud
Replies
Views