What do you feed your shrimp?

1. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

So far I feed the same frozen food as fish with veggies. Is there a shrimp specific food that's good for them?
    What do you feed?

2. SIRHC Member Member

I had ghost shrimp a while back and I would find them shrimp pellets and occasionally blood worms. Watching them swim up and grab the bloodworm and float back down while eating is some of the funniest things I've ever seen them do

3. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I feed mine the same Repashy food I feed my fish. Repashy also makes a special shrimp food that I'm sure is great!

4. QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Maybe you can try NLS crustacean I've tried it and it's great!

5. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I've heard a lot about this NLS. Is it ordered online? I would like a pellet made just for them.

6. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

You can buy it at some pet stores, online at Amazon, or Ken's Fish (I can find a link if you're not familiar with them). I actually gave mine some NLs small fish pellets last night, they seemed to like them. I have Wardley's shrimp pellets, but haven't fed them because they contain copper, and I'm not sure at what level it's toxic to inverts, so I just don't feed it at all. :)

7. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I'll check out Amazon. Thanks!

8. ladygoodwrench Member Member

I feed my ghost shrimp Wardley's Shrimp Pellets, and they have no problems with it.. in fact I never knew til now that it eve had copper in it!!!! My shrimp loves the Shrimp Pellets..

9. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

A little copper is needed for health, like vitamins for us.

10. uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

Question, since we are discussing shrimp food for ghost shrimp! I added 5 ghost shrimp to my 10G betta tank last week to clean up algae, on the recommendation of my LFS. yesterday, I lost one. The tank cycle is fine. However, the temperature is elevated to 80 as my betta is healing a small fin issue he had. I will lower it back to 78 at the next water change this evening. In the meantime, I have noticed them eating the large quantities of algae plaguing my tank. Is this satisfactory for them until they clean most of it up or do I need to supplement their diet? I want to ensure the shrimp I lost didn't starve to death!