What Do You Feed Your Plecos?

1. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

What's your staple food, and what do you give them as more of 'treats'?

Out of curiosity. Please say what kind of pleco you have too. Pictures are more than welcome. :)

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

They get the same blend of frozen food as everyone else on frozen food days - blood worm, shrimp, mosquito larva, which depends on which pack I pull, plus green food like Emerald Entree . I drop sinking pellets in and pieces of wakame seaweed on other days.

3. goplecos

goplecos Well Known Member Member

I feed mine Tetra Pro Pleco Wafers, and a weekly piece of Zucchini.

He is a 10 inch Common Pleco that is still growing. I expect him to reach a foot buy the end of the year. That's his face in my profile pick.

4. a

aadamabdullah17 New Member Member

When I had otos, I fed them hikari wafers as a staple and cucumber/zucchini for treats. Plan on doing the same with my L201

5. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

I'd their staple is plecochips/algae wafers and whatever bits of flake or pellets for the other fish they happen to get. Then zuchinni every once in a while.

6. OP
    OP
    B

What kind of algae wafers does everyone get? ( I see a good few people up there with some good sounding ones; I'll have to check the LFS to see if they have any.)

I am kind of scared of algae wafers as I remember when I was a little kid I got them for my fish and the next day they were all dead. May've been because I was 7, knew nothing of fish, and added too much causing a chemical imbalance. Probably that. But I want to make sure I get a good brand. :)

7. goplecos

Mine gets 3 a day. 1 in the morning 2 at night. But he's a giant, lol. I've used Tetra Pro for 3 years, and have had great results.

8. B

Betrayer Well Known Member Member

I feed my BN pleco a variety of fresh vegetables and some fruits--cucumber, zucchini, carrot, broccoli stalk, watermelon rind, apple, and Brussels sprouts (his favorite).

He also eats shrimp pellets and Hikari sinking wafers on a daily basis. BN plecos are omnivores, so they need some meaty foods along with veggies and algae. They also need access to driftwood to rasp on. Hope that helps!

Brussels sprout
    image.jpeg

Carrot
    image.jpeg

9. goplecos

Plecos do need driftwood to help with their digestive system. I have a large piece of hard driftwood, so I give mine a few pieces of soft Chola wood every few months.

10. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

I prefer JBL Novopleco or plecochips(I think it comes with two different names?)

Oh, also, occasionally give them repashy frozen pleco food, can't remember the exact name of it.

11. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Hikari Algae Wafers and Sera Catfish Chips as well as zucchini on occasion. I tried sea weed but no one ate it and it irritated me since it cost so much lol. Haven't used it since :/

12. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I just got mine, but I don't feed durning the day. I never see him eat.
    Foods would be Algae Wafers, but I'll be giving veggies really soon.

13. yukondog

yukondog Well Known Member Member

Mine likes fresh cut squash.

14. OP
    OP
    B

Thanks you guys!

15. goplecos

Are you getting a pleco, or do you already have one?

16. Sarah73

Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

I feed mine all kinds of different veggies and fruit. It includes blood worms, brine shrimp, pleco pellets. For veggies I keep carrots, zucchini, eggplant, lettuce, etc. For fruit I give them watermelon, strawberries, grapes, etc. @jdhef

17. Sarah73

Kelly you should have zucchini in your tank 24/7 ( @Junne ). I would also try more veggies if you like :)

18. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I have a Peckoltia and I feed him green beans, zucchini, sweet potato, snail jello (which should be called pleco jello, as it's for him!; contains carnivore and herbivore dried food and baby food veggies), Omega One herbivore wafers and shrimp pellets, Kensfish herbivore catfish pellets, and various frozen food.

19. Kellye8498

Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

zucchini isn't really a nutritive filled food source for them. It's missing some of the things they need. It isn't necessary to have it in the tank 24/7 for sure. They get 1-2 pieces a week and have them in the tank for 24 hours before removal. They are doing very well. The one I have had for over a month has already almost doubled its length. I have researched feeding very well as I am OCD and it's just how my brain works :)

20. Sarah73

@Junne what do you think? I've learned everything about what to feed plecos from you expert :p