What Do You Feed Your Fish?

Discussion in 'Red Devil Cichlid' started by Mike1995, Oct 11, 2017.

?

Best readily available fish foods

Poll closed Nov 29, 2017.
  1. Omega one

36.4%
  2. New life spectrum

9.1%
  3. marineland

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. tetra

27.3%
  5. pure aquatic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. hikari

27.3%
  1. Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

TetraMin Tropical Flakes
    30 gallon

Omega One Micro Pellets
    10 gallon

3. RSababadyWell Known MemberMember

Up until recently, I was using two only products. On top of that I had narrowed down to two products as I use and automatic food feeder i.e. tetra pro color flakes for the top feeders and Beef Heart Granulat from Exotica and once a week feeding with frozen worms and dried algae tablets.

Now I use a variety of food from different suppliers as the monotonous diet served regularly by the automatic food feeder was obviously lacking in variety and probably minerals.

I have since added to the diet: Supreme diskus from a German company called Nature food; micro pellets from Hikari and Softline America from Tropical. (apparently the last two have no food colorings and minimal amount of wheat).

4. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

5. AmnScottWell Known MemberMember

All Omega One products. Mostly Omega One flakes, and I feed Omega One frozen bloodworms or freeze dried blood worms as treats.

EDIT- Forgot about my bottom feeders, lol. I'll usually throw in some omega one sinking pellets. When I have a pleco I'll use blanched carrots or cucumber.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  6. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

New life spectrum, custom blends from angels plus, north fin, fluval bug bites, hikari, plus fresh veggies... occasionally repashy but I always forget to prepare it lol.

7. KaitlynRWell Known MemberMember

I've only got the one tank, but so far I've been feeding them Omega One Veggie Mini Pellets, and every now and then Hikari Mini Algae Wafers. Though, I think I'll go get some frozen brine shrimp, or bloodworms or something! Switch it up a little bit :)

8. Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

where do you all get northfin stuff? I've never seen it! :)

9. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I am starting a schedule that should look like this:

Day 1: Pellets
    Day 2: Brine Shrimp
    Day 3: Frozen Bloodworms
    Day 4: Pellets
    Day 5: Shrimp Pellets
    Day 6: Deshelled Pea
    Day 7: Fast

It looks as if my 30 gallon only gets this:

Step 1: EAT!
    Step 2: Chase!
    Step: Repeat!

10. brousecasey12Well Known MemberMember

I use omega one super color flakes for my 55 with some wood wafers for the pleco! In the 20, I used same flame food but throw in sinking pellets for the two GBRS ! Thy eat flake food too though!
    I want to start zucchini but haven't got to it yet!
    Also, I feed them twice a day!

11. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

surprisingly Pet Valu lol. although it is pretty common in canada since its a canadian brand but you can also get it off of amazon

12. Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

ah okay!

13. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

I use a lot of Doctors Foster and Smith flake food. When frequently on sale I get a huge 5 oz can for under $9. The nutritional numbers are very good. 45% protein. No clue which company actually makes it. All my fish really love it. My fish did not like Omega color flakes much when I tried it. They did like basic Tetra flakes. Honestly I think most of the flake food is pretty good.

The other half of the time I feed frozen brine, frozen bloodworms, and hatch live brine for the fry tanks. Other than that just squash or cucumber for the fish that will eat it. I did try to make my own gel food but think I used too many veggies. They eat it but they aren't impressed. I need to find a proven recipe.

14. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

would love to see your discus!

I feed my discus : frozen beefheart and freeze-dried black worms for their staple diet and they also get rotated in NLS flake food and frozen bloodworms. + I add algae wafers for my albino bristle-nose.
    The tetra/corydoras tank gets a more varied mix of all the following: NLS flake, freeze-dried black-worms, blood-worms, and brine shrimp.

15. Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

does the beefheart cause any problems?

16. MaximumRide14Well Known MemberMember

API tropical flakes, bloodworms, and algae wafers.

17. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

No, none at all. If anything, feeding pellet foods are what have caused issues with my fish in the past-- I stay away from them completely. Even with my corydoras.

18. OnTheFlyWell Known MemberMember

I've wanted to try beef heart. Fed it to my oscars a million year ago and they loved it. Sounds like an inexpensive protein source I could feed once a week anyway. Just bought some frozen bloodworms and they are just huge. Way too big for 2" fish. Nothing like I have seen in the past.

19. Bruxes and BubblesWell Known MemberMember

20. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

Beefheart is a very lean and nutritious protein source. It will, once defrosted, break up in the water to small bites--- that is why it is perfect for growing discus whose mouths are quite small relative to their size.