What do you feed your cichlids?

SinisterCichlids

Hello, I am interested in what food you feed your cichlids? Please state what type of cichlid such as mbuna or peacock and let me know. I want to hear your stories and opinions on why you feed what you do. Also, I want to know what food you offer your fish besides the standard pellet/flake.

I am an advocate for Northfin and I also like New Life Spectrum and certain Hikari's as a more available option for most people. I really am not a fan of omega one or tetra cichlid options.

Thank you for your input!

A201

I believe you listed most of the best available brands of cichlid food. I've fed my Africans NLS, Hikari, Tetra cichlid pellets as well as Omega One products.
No special effort to change up the foods between the Haps, Peacocks & Mbuna. All listed foods were readily accepted. No Bloating issues, great coloration & they grew normally.
My least favorite of the group is Hakari. Omega One is my favorite.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Interesting, are you talking about the omega one + super color pellets? I believe they have about 35% protein, which is probably preferred for a mixed tank where some don't need the higher levels of protein. I don't use the pellets, but occasionally use the omega one frozen bloodworms if they don't have the Hikari ones at my LFS.

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Interesting, are you talking about the omega one + super color pellets? I believe they have about 35% protein, which is probably preferred for a mixed tank where some don't need the higher levels of protein. I don't use the pellets, but occasionally use the omega one frozen bloodworms if they don't have the Hikari ones at my LFS.

My only complaint about northfin is that they don't have a floating pellet. If my fish for whatever reason don't attack the food as they usually do, the water agitation sinks the pellets pretty quickly.

Upvote 0

qldmick

Some people believe blood worms can cause bloat in malawi cichlids.
One of by Ad Konings books recommended mysis shrimp, that is what I feed twice a week, the rest of the time NLS Probiotix.

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

I feed hikari cichlid sinking gold, omega one cichlid color pellets, frozen krill, freeze dried mealworms and frozen brine shrimp

Upvote 0

SinisterCichlids

Some people believe blood worms can cause bloat in malawi cichlids.
One of by Ad Konings books recommended mysis shrimp, that is what I feed twice a week, the rest of the time NLS Probiotix.

Yeah I use frozen bloodworms for peacocks, but it is not a regular meal for them. Never had any problems with bloat, I feed pretty sparingly and I fast about 2x a month for a weekend.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Gallenkc
  • Question
Replies
Views