What do you feed your bettas ?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by HOWsMom, Apr 14, 2010.

1. HOWsMomWell Known MemberMember

I need new food - someone (likely a someone of about 3 years of age) put a bunch of water in the betta food yesterday, turning it to nothing but mush.

I don't know what kind it was - it was given to the kids with the fish and bowl they were given.

For the next couple of days, the bettas will be eating Omega One "veggie" flake food (odd name, when the first ingredient is salmon) , because that's what we have. They seem to like it. Is it okay for them ? Or do they need a food that is made specifically for bettas ?

What's the difference between a general tropical-fish food, and a betta-fish food ?

2. redlessiWell Known MemberMember

I think the differences are the ingredients being that bettas tend to consitpate easily.
    I would stick to the foods specificaly for bettas for that reason.

I use hikari bio gold betta pellets and omega one betta flakes. YOu can also soak freeze dried bloodworms in garlic or tank water as an occasional treat.

3. FlyfrodValued MemberMember

I use Atison's Betta Pro but also breed. I use Aqueon betta food for my veiltail females.

4. HOWsMomWell Known MemberMember

Hikari sounds familiar.
    And I can get ahold of some Omega One foods.

Not familiar with Atison's or Aqueon.

5. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

I also use Atison's (blue lid) and Atison's pro (pink lid).
    I understand it's good stuff, along with Hikari.

6. HOWsMomWell Known MemberMember

Omega One "Betta Buffet"

Atison Betta Food

Atison Betta PRO

Hikari Bio-Gold Betta

Aqueon Betta Food

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  7. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

omega one foods are AWESOME..they are a high quality flake, that all fish will eat.........the veggie flakes will work but adding some brine shrimp and bloodworms (frozen thawed) as well as the flakes, will be great.....soaking the shrimp/bloodworms in fresh garlic juice to thaw, is what I do ...but every betta is different....:)

8. HOWsMomWell Known MemberMember

Oh, the little beggars do get bloodworms a couple times a week. I think they're "freeze dried" - they come in a little container, just like the flakes do.

9. ShawnieFishlore LegendMember

freeze dried foods for bettas, should most definitely be soaked in fresh garlic juice or water...otherwise they will expand in their bellies and cause constipation or bloat.....flakes are crushed pretty small and dissipate as they hit the water ..flakes shouldnt be their main diet either ..its all about being varied but omega one is a great flake all around

10. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Shawnie's bettas are spoiled, mind haha!!

11. HOWsMomWell Known MemberMember

What does a pellet do that makes it more favorable a food than a flake ?

12. ppate1977Well Known MemberMember

My betta WILL NOT eat any pellets I've ever tried. I feed him high quality flake, as well as a good variety of tubiflex worms, blood worms, and brine shrimp. He used to eat the pellet and spit it out, now he just looks at it like "common' dude, I'm not gonna eat that". Lol

13. peacemaker92Well Known MemberMember

Great advice and suggestions above :) I use to feed my bettas a treat of bloodworms at least twice a week to enhance their great coloration.

Best of luck! :;hf

14. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

Those Omega One flakes are good stuff. IMO you do not need to be in a rush to replace your betta food. There isn't really a whole lot of difference between the Omega One veggie flakes and most betta-specific foods. My betta always liked New Life Spectrum small fish formula pellet. The NLS pellet is very small and is not a floating formula, so it isn't necessary to soak it. NLS can be hard to find though.

15. HOWsMomWell Known MemberMember

Thank you, harpua - the bettas both seem to like the Omega One flakes more than they did their pellets. And, as I said above, I do give them a few bloodworms a week.

I hadn't been soaking the bloodworms though, I can do that.

16. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

There's not really anything specifically favourable about either, it's mainly down to what our darling picky little fussy bettas will actually agree to eat without spitting out lol!

Mars is very fussy, I tried all foods until he finally agreed with Atison's, luckily all 5 of my boys eat Atison's with no probs. Lucky that, since my tub is humungous!