What do you feed your bettas?

1. Dolphini Member Member

What types or brands of food do you feed your bettas?
    Also, flake vs pellet? Opinions?

Mine is on Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets and Hikari FD bloodworms, with the occasional frozen bloodworms. However, I also recently got Omega One Color Max pellets (a little big for betta, but I give him 1 per meal along with regular food), which I really like because it looks like it's made with better quality ingredients. I'm thinking of switching to their betta pellets or flakes as well.

2. Bad Wolf Well Known Member Member

All my bettas found pellets to hard to eat. They were to hard most of the time and they would soak fast enough. I just started feeding him tropical flakes, any brand really. Then I started feeding them frozen blood worms, frozen beef heart and frozen brine shrimp, plus mosquito larvae and other insects I found.

3. CHoffman Fishlore VIP Member

I feed my betta Ken's betta crumbles, frozen blood worms, frozen brine shrimp, and freeze dried brine shrimp. Betta's are piggies!!

4. Borisbbadd Guest

Oh oh, I knew I was forgetting something..............:oops:

5. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

I can only get my betta to eat fry, egg yolk, peas, thawed bloodworms and brineshrimp and occasionally flakes.

6. Zoreta Member Member

I use Omega One Betta pellets, Hikari FD blood worms and the occasional piece of pea. Elton will eat anything, but Napoleon is too small for pellets, so he gets FD blood worms.

Elton will do anything for any food- today I was training Elton by dipping a Qtip in tank water and sticking a pellet to the wet cotton, then holding it just above the water surface- he snapped up the pellet and tore off a hunk of cotton in the same jump! Vicious little guy!

7. agabr123 Fishlore VIP Member

i use atisons pellets, hikari pellets, and frozen bloodworms mostly :)

8. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. I feed my Betta, Wriggley, frozen blood worms (he loves 'em), frozen brine shrimp, he has finally started taking a pellet or two but he doesn't really seem to care for the pellets. I'm glad he's started accepting the pellets just in case I have to be away it will be much easier on the fish sitter.
    Ken

9. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

all of mine are on spirulina flakes , frozen bloodworms, & frozen brine shrimp

10. Dolphini Member Member

LOL! That's too cute! Mine is the same way, except he'll eat pellets from my finger.

I went to the store today and found some of the Omega One Betta Buffet flakes, so I'll try those on Bleu and see how he likes them. I hope it'll improve his colors, they're kind of dull. :(

11. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Cowboy gets New Life Spectrum small fish pellets and occasionally frozen bloodworms.

12. Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

I feed Atisons Betta pro pellets and frozen mini bloodworms....On the young fish I feed live fresh hatched baby brine shrimp....

13. Molly11 Initiate Member

My bettas eat TetraMin Tropical Granules(pellets) and Omega One Freeze Dried Bloodworms - they hate flakes.

14. redlessi Well Known Member Member

My new boy likes Hikari bio gold pellets, freeze dried bloodworms and algae crisps. He does not like freeze dried baby shrimps. I found that out today. He is too funny, grabbed it and spit it right out.

15. Prince Powder Well Known Member Member

I feed my bettas Hikari Bio Gold pellets as their staple and the occasional FD bloodworm as a treat. I want to also add FD brine shrimp and FD daphnia to their diet for a bit more variety but with the size of containers it would probably leave me with enough freeze dried foods to last several years! I'm going to see about perhaps getting one or two of my husband's co workers together and see if they'd be willing to pitch in for the BBS and Daphnia then we could divide it up and have the variety available without having to buy a lifetime's supply.

16. fishtroy Well Known Member Member

Mine are eating Today's Freeze Dried Bloodworms, Vitapet Premium Pellets Betta Food and Mosquiotos a`la my backyard. :)

17. aquariumgirl lauren Member Member

One of my bettas eats frozen brine shrimp and betta pellets, but the other refuses everything except flakes. It really depends of the betta and what it likes, you just have to try different foods

18. funkman262 Well Known Member Member

I hear live grindal worms are great for bettas (especially betta fry). When I first started looking into raising them, many of the websites I viewed specified raising them for bettas ;)

19. lyndra Member Member

My guys get betta pellets in the morning (I'm at work so I can't check which brand - it's in a silver and blue container) and blood worms in the evening.

20. midthought Well Known Member Member

My bettas eat most whatever it seems, not really picky. I give them Hikari Betta Bio-gold and freeze dried and frozen bloodworms, mostly, but have given them flakes before (just to see if they'd eat it) and whatever live insects I find. I've also given them small pieces of beef (leftover trimmings of a pot roast ;D).