What do you feed your African Dwarf Frog?

Nianichole

Just wondering what's worked best for you guys with feeding african dwarf frogs.

My son has one in our tank with our fish. So far it seems to be going really well. He swims around a lot and hangs out in the plants. I even heard him "sing," which was pretty awesome. I do know, however, that feeding can be an issue and I need to be sure he isn't outcompeted by the fish.

I've seen him eat frozen bloodworms and flake when I put it among the floating plants. Just wondering what your experiences are and if I should attempt target feeding? Any pointers on that and what to use? I feel like he would just swim away in terror...

Lucy

Hi!
I fed mine frozen brine shrimp mostly, I used blunt nosed tweezers. Not because they were with fish but the parents wou;d get to the food quicker than their kids.

When they were very small I used an intake tube. They quickly learned it brought food and would come right over. They would often swim up it before the food got 1/2 way down.

Feeding is one of the reasons I recommend a species only take for African Dwarf Frogs. They're so darn cute.

Frogbreeder has healthy food options here:
Care Sheet For African Dwarf Frogs | Amphibian Forum | 36417

Upvote 0

Nianichole

Hi!
I fed mine frozen brine shrimp mostly, I used blunt nosed tweezers. Not because they were with fish but the parents wou;d get to the food quicker than their kids.

When they were very small I used an intake tube. They quickly learned it brought food and would come right over. They would often swim up it before the food got 1/2 way down.

Feeding is one of the reasons I recommend a species only take for African Dwarf Frogs. They're so darn cute.

Frogbreeder has healthy food options here:
Care Sheet For African Dwarf Frogs | Amphibian Forum | 36417

Thank you for the feedback! This is super helpful.

Upvote 0

Gameynerd23

I don't have any baby ADFs yet, but I feed the adults I have Frozen Mysis Shrimp and they love them. They'll grab at the cube when I hold it on the water for them, lol. Also, if your tank is big enough and there's enough space, I would recommend getting a few more frogs. I don't see them interact much aside from attempted breeding and the accidental grab during mealtime, but they're so cute, who wouldn't want more than one?

Upvote 0

Samyjade99

Just wondering what's worked best for you guys with feeding african dwarf frogs.

My son has one in our tank with our fish. So far it seems to be going really well. He swims around a lot and hangs out in the plants. I even heard him "sing," which was pretty awesome. I do know, however, that feeding can be an issue and I need to be sure he isn't outcompeted by the fish.

I've seen him eat frozen bloodworms and flake when I put it among the floating plants. Just wondering what your experiences are and if I should attempt target feeding? Any pointers on that and what to use? I feel like he would just swim away in terror...
I also use frozen bloodworms! I use a metal tweezer thing that came with a plant tool pack! It works great and the frogs love it. Trust me they wont get scared, they love to eat so they would eat it off that stick even if it was rusted or had pointy things sticking out. Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
Honem
Replies
Views
Paper Spiders