What Do You Do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JoyToTheFishes, Jul 19, 2015.

1. JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishes Valued Member Member

Inspired by a previous thread, my curiosity was sparked...

What do you do for your day job? What do you like best about it, and does it involve your hobby in any way?

I work at a customs brokerage, I like that I work with some great gals, and get to listen to audio books all day. ;)

Unfortunately it doesn't involve my hobby at all.. unless sneaking on this forum when no one is looking, lol.

Your turn!

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Hey that's very funny that you mention this. The wife and I own and run a US Customs bonded warehouse and we also do trucking on the side. So we deal with a lot of customs brokerages. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. alink

alink Well Known Member Member

I work on software and databases for a few local small businesses from my home. I almost have my bachelor's degree, should finish that next year. Then I will be looking for full time employment. Right now I am enjoying the fact that I can watch my fish all day any day I want pretty much, lol.

Once I get full time employment then theres a 150-200 gallon African Cichlid tank in my future, so I am hoping this next year goes by fast!!

4. OP
    OP
    JoyToTheFishes

JoyToTheFishes Valued Member Member

Wow, very cool. I've noticed a lot of trucking companies, warehouses and brokerages are still being run by families, which is really great.

5. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

I work for Singapore Airlines' office at SFO
    I usually work in their day flights, SQ 16 and SQ15. Which are Singapore-San Francisco via Seoul and Singapore-SF via Seoul
    Sometimes I do the night flights SQ001 and SQ002 which are SF-Singapore via Hong Kong and Singapore - SF via Hong Kong

I get asked a lot, "Why isn't there flights directly to Singapore?"
    Well here's the answer, Singapore to SF takes about 19 hours flight time. I can't even stand the one going to Hong Kong, which is 14 hours. Bleh
    That's a lot of technical stuff :D
    I'm currently at the office awaiting for the flight to leave, but there seems to be a delay :(

:)

6. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'm a grad student studying parasites! And couldn't be happier about it :)

7. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Semi driver the last 18 years.

8. Dom90

Cool! So far all related businesses with you and Joy. Do you do over the road, who you drive for?

9. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

I run a small trucking company. I drove for 11 years and almost a million safe miles before I lost my medical card in May of last year. After that I stepped up to management and basically take care of day to day operations. We stay off the east coast and west coast and basically run all over the middle of the country.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. Dom90

Lol everyone here seems to be doing something related to trucking :)

11. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Except me! :)

12. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Not me!

13. p

peacelizard Valued Member Member

I work as a mental health worker on a locked inpatient bipolar/schizophrenia unit at a major psych hospital in the Northeast

14. Thunder_o_b

I am a day driver these days. Half my time was over the road. Some of it was as an OO. I lost my rig at the start of the great recession.

My lost rig.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I'm a very well kept man. Someone has to do it so it might as well be me! MoneySmiley1.gif

Ken:giggle:

16. SnyperTodd

SnyperTodd Valued Member Member

Thunder_o_b that is a beautiful Western Star, man. I'm sorry you lost it. I try to explain to people when they seem interested exactly how much it costs to own and operate each truck. The numbers blow most people's minds. (I had a long post typed out about costs, but it devolved into a somewhat political rant, so I deleted it...) There's a saying that sums it up pretty well: "Trucking can make you a millionaire...if you're a billionaire."

17. Dom90

Oh yea, trucking insurance is ridiculous plus the rising costs of fuel and then if you get ticketed for overweights, a dollar per pound overweight and all the ICC regulations ugh

18. slayer5590

slayer5590 Well Known Member Member

Water plant operator for a small town in N Texas.

19. thefishdude277

thefishdude277 Well Known Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1437450624.593425.jpg
    Here's my pic when I did a night flight

:)

20. Thunder_o_b

Thank you SnyperTodd :)

Blue was a 2000 4900EX with a stratosphere sleeper, 110 volt electrical system, full fridge/freezer, Twin air captains so the seat cover was happy when there was one :;toast (watch out, driver's stories in the air)

power windows, mirrors etc. Twin 100 gal tanks, 13 speed trans with tall gears, tall shoes (not a retread to be found), 500 hp driptroit. Actually he was a bit hotter as he was not stock ;) I kept the tail lights cleaner than the rest of the rig as that was pretty much all you would see :;hi1) , 265" wheel bace and at 32,000 fully fed with nothing on the skateboard was he was a century truck. 5mpg with 48,000 on his back 7-8 with nothing. Trailer was an all aluminum East BST (beast) spread with a weight gauge, three locking sides, and could do 60k in 6' (re-enforced deck). I dropped 15k on the tarp system and loved it (the kit not the price :) )

You are dead on about the cost and regulatory strangle hold the gov has on us. But to John Q it is all air horns, SATB and the "great" food at the TA.... They have no idea....The worst food in the world is in the stops and with the highest prices. That is why I carried a months worth of food in the freezer. And of course the "freedom" of the open road....Right, they should give 11 hrs driving a day a try. Critical machinery has to be across the country to keep an entire plant from shutting down- but the catch is that you have to go pond to pond in two days. But times have changed for the worst. Even Walmart has pulled the welcome mat so restocking is getting hard for the RWs out there. Good luck finding a place to sleep after 5PM. God help you if you are stopped on an on ramp and short of Hrs.

Hmmmm, This is turning into a rant. I'll stop now :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice