What do you do?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Fashooga, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Hey all,
    I have a main 55g tank and a QT tank. For the few weeks I had fish that I purchased and placed in the QT tank. The main tank had a fish that wasn't looking so hot...well I couldn't put him in the QT tank with fish already in there, so I decided to save the tank and euthanized it.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few is my thought.

Did I do the right thing? Thoughts?

2. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

I would have set up a temporary "aquarium" in a rubbermaid storage container for the sick one. I love those things! So handy..

But hey, we all deal in the best way we can. :))

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think you did the right thing given the circumstances. It's what I would have done. But, that's one of the reasons I have multiple quarantine tanks.

4. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

Seriously though, you don't really need multiple quarantine tanks set up taking all that space when you don't need them very often. Those roughneck storage bins make awesome emergency tanks in a pinch. Just take some of the main aquarium water, insert all the equipment (filter, heater and whatnot) and there you go! You can even keep it on the floor. Observing the fish is more difficult for sure, but I would prefer that to immediately euthanizing a fish.

Trying to heal a sick fish is an invaluable learning experience, IMO. :)

5. Jaysee

The number of quarantine tanks you need is dependent on how many show tanks you have. You don't need to have multiples for one tank, but as you found out it can be helpful to have the ability to set up an additional, whether it be a tank, a bin or a bucket.

6. OP
    OP
    Fashooga

Don't think the wife would want multiple QT tanks. I wasn't sure whether what I did was right, but what are you going to do?

7. Jaysee

I answer to no one, so I have 5 :)

In a pinch, all you really need is a bucket, a heater and a sponge filter.

8. scarlett4410

scarlett4410 Valued Member Member

I myself wouldnt ever do that , i would of gone with it and seen how it played it out. Im not saying your decision was wrong tough.
    Why didnt you just put him with the other fish or leave him in the tank? Or temporarily put him in a container? Just curious haha

9. Magoo

Magoo Fishlore VIP Member

You did what you felt was right and it was for the greater good for you to have had to make that decision he must have been a really poorly fish.

I have never been in that situation so I can't say what I would have done but hypothetically speaking as I too am limited on space so I may have made the same decision.

I am sorry for your loss and what's done is done looking forward to seeing pictures of your new fish when they go in your main tank :)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  10. OP
    OP
    Fashooga

It's a sucky situation to be in. But again the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. I don't want to risk the entire tank because one fish got sick.

What's done is done...thanks for all your input on this.

11. scarlett4410

scarlett4410 Valued Member Member

I wasn't criticizing your decision i cant say for sure as i wasn't in your position. I do agree that sometimes you have to do what you have to do :)

12. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good afternoon,

Some good tips above by other members, however, I think you did what was best under the circumstances. Hate that you lost a fish. Sometimes we have to make some tough decisions.

Ken

13. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, and Spock was right, the needs of the many usually outweigh the needs of the one.

That aside if YOU felt you did the right thing then in the end that is all that really matters.

I have had it play out different ways for me with varying success so I cant say one is better than the other in any instance.

14. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Star Trek II, The wrath of Khan. So much win.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice