What do you do with your water change water?

devsi
Normally, I’ll water my plants/trees with it but I always have more than I need.

I was thinking of buying a water butt and tipping all the water, from the tanks, into it for when I need it, rather than tipping it all away only to use the tap the day after.

Does anybody else do this? Do you use something else?

Charlyc
I have all my tanks hard piped to the outside and a hose at the end and I move it around the back yard garden. The hose also reaches the tomato and cucumber plants.

Noroomforshoe
i like to water the plants with it too. the used tank water and the water in canned vegetable cans.

SparkyJones
I water the plants, the excess goes to watering the trees if it's like 35 gallons, my plants don't need that much, lol. the trees will make use of it though.

I don't like the idea of storing the tank waste water for later use. if I need water for the plants, I take from my tank, gives me an excuse to do small water changes to do watering.

my irrigation system is on a well and its hard water, ok for grass that's getting mowed, but bad for plants and rust stains everything, my tap water is high enough in chlorine that there's a noticeable difference in growth when I'm watering with tapwater vs. getting a lot of rain or using my tank water. Rainwater or tank water being the two best options. I also have a flowerbed I dump my depleted pots of potting soil in. One day it will be a flower bed, I dump tank water there also figuring it will eventually replenish the soil for free and I won't need ferts but that's a long way off until it gets eventually filled up. for now it's a tank water dump and compost spot.

ProudPapa
Normally, I’ll water my plants/trees with it but I always have more than I need.

I was thinking of buying a water butt and tipping all the water, from the tanks, into it for when I need it, rather than tipping it all away only to use the tap the day after.

Does anybody else do this? Do you use something else?

I usually only change the water in one or two tanks in a day, so I always have water change water for the plants, but I don't see why saving water change water for later watering wouldn't work.

SparkyJones
I usually only change the water in one or two tanks in a day, so I always have water change water for the plants, but I don't see why saving water change water for later watering wouldn't work.
Just you'd want to keep animals and bugs out of it, since it's dechlorinated and dirty and no longer moving, , it's probably not too far off from going stagnant. wouldn't want the neighborhood animals drinking from it, or mosquitos and frogs breeding in it.

Flyfisha
I have a dozen 20 litre buckets. Although I find some are often full of various projects . Driftwood soaking, wild plant quarantine, green water cultures etc. all of which use recycled aquarium water. I use the aquarium water as many times as possible if I can . Whenever I want water for any job around the house I try and use some old aquarium water. From flushing the toilet to washing the bicycle used aquarium water has many uses.

I disagree with the idea of not wanting mosquitoes to breed in it. That is exactly what I do all summer long. Being able to collect live mosquito larvae from a few buckets at the back door step is a bonus from water that is otherwise going to waste.

And sorry guys I even fill up the garden bird bath with old aquarium water. The wild birds wash in it and drink it. I have never received a written complaint about the quality of their swimming puddle.

SparkyJones
I have a dozen 20 litre buckets. Although I find some are often full of various projects . Driftwood soaking, wild plant quarantine, green water cultures etc. all of which use recycled aquarium water. I use the aquarium water as many times as possible if I can . Whenever I want water for any job around the house I try and use some old aquarium water. From flushing the toilet to washing the bicycle used aquarium water has many uses.

I disagree with the idea of not wanting mosquitoes to breed in it. That is exactly what I do all summer long. Being able to collect live mosquito larvae from a few buckets at the back door step is a bonus from water that is otherwise going to waste.

And sorry guys I even fill up the garden bird bath with old aquarium water. The wild birds wash in it and drink it. I have never received a written complaint about the quality of their swimming puddle.
I collect mosquito larvae myself, Just saying it's not good to have mosquitos breeding rampantly around the house out of control. if you have a use for it great, just someone storing water for future use letting it get mosquito blown,,,,
I'm in florida, mosquitos are a problem except for the coldest of days year round. I try to not let my fishfood, menace the neighborhood.

Flyfisha
As most of us do water changes every week mosquitoe will never mature in water stored for later use if later is one week or less.

I do have neglected buckets outside with green water in them . I guess I am a menace to the neighbourhood? We have our own mosquito transmitted diseases ( Ross river virus)

On a serious note . Very young babies/ children can drown in a five gallon bucket.

BigManAquatics
I typically use some to water my lady's various potted plants and dump the rest on the lawn.

MacZ
I water the plants, the excess goes to watering the trees if it's like 35 gallons, my plants don't need that much, lol. the trees will make use of it though.
Exellent idea. I have no own backyard and no houseplants outside the aquarium. The trees out front are in dire need with the current heatwave, though.

JustAFishServant
Well, I water the plants of course! Indoor, shrubs, bushes, trees and even our raised garden bed! It provides the same nutrients as in aquaponics :)

devsi
Thanks all! It was more a question about storing the water in a water butt, as I already water the plants with it :)

Sounds like it may not be a good idea as mozzys might lay eggs in it?

SparkyJones
Thanks all! It was more a question about storing the water in a water butt, as I already water the plants with it :)

Sounds like it may not be a good idea as mozzys might lay eggs in it?
As long as it has a tight fitting cover, or you are using it up before the mosquitos ect mature and fly away, it works quite well.
My warning was just because I know how people and myself are and that's something you figure out later, if you don't want mosquitos all over, cover it or dump it. Lol.

Blacksheep1
Sounds like another medaka breeding project excuse to me ;) especially as they’ll eat the mosquitos. Partially joking.

can you get one of the rain storage type containers that get sealed ? If there’s no outside influence you should be fine storing water.

devsi
As long as it has a tight fitting cover, or you are using it up before the mosquitos ect mature and fly away, it works quite well.
Ah ok, yeah the plan would be to have a cover :) I don’t want any mozzys!
My warning was just because I know how people and myself are and that's something you figure out later, if you don't want mosquitos all over, cover it or dump it. Lol.
It definitely wasn’t something I’d considered so it’s appreciated
Sounds like another medaka breeding project excuse to me ;) especially as they’ll eat the mosquitos. Partially joking.
HA! I don’t need any more breeding projects….. or do I…..

can you get one of the rain storage type containers that get sealed ? If there’s no outside influence you should be fine storing water.

I’m not entirely sure what you mean; I’m putting that down to me being thick :) “rain storage containers” that aren’t water butts, you mean?

SparkyJones
Ah ok, yeah the plan would be to have a cover :) I don’t want any mozzys!

It definitely wasn’t something I’d considered so it’s appreciated

HA! I don’t need any more breeding projects….. or do I…..

I’m not entirely sure what you mean; I’m putting that down to me being thick :) “rain storage containers” that aren’t water butts, you mean?
Water butt, rain barrel, cistern, rain water storage container, all the same thing.

Fishfriendkeeper
I do the same thing as everyone else. When I’m done doing a water change, I take the bucket and bring it to my garden, and then water my peppers and tomatoes. I then water my flowers around the house, then my young trees, then my raspberry, blackberry and blueberry plants, then I go back inside to water my tree, then my aloe Vera plant, and other various plants. I also water my Venus fly trap. If there is any water left I water the trees farthest from the creek because the ones near the creek get water constantly flowing in.

Blacksheep1
Water butt, rain barrel, cistern, rain water storage container, all the same thing.
Yep :)

devsi
Thanks all, very much appreciated!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
KinderScout
Replies
Views
Carolyn Underwood
Replies
Views