What Do You Do With Your Fry?

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
what does everyone do with their fry??
We have about 20. Few days old.

Do you sell them?
Give them away?

We gave away our last batch. But this time we have a ton more.

Most of our pet stores won’t take them but we do have one that would. Not sure if they will take them all though. I know we should be expecting more anytime.

How does everyone sell them? Where do you sell them? If so, how much do you sell them for?

Thanks in advance!

P.s. They are molly fry.
 

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Messages
2,025
Reaction score
2,074
Points
298
Experience
2 years
I just let mine in the tank.. the other fish take care of them!! Hope it doesn't sound to cruel.. but.. gotta keep the population down..!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
Mine don’t get eaten lol! I wish they would. Our fish don’t seem interested in them.
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,409
Reaction score
4,378
Points
458
Experience
5 to 10 years
After a long time most livebearers that have eaten a lot of fry can get disinterested in eating them (maybe they get tired of the taste?). If i have an abundance of fry I have other fish I can feed them to as a snack, if you do not want them I would suggest removing the males from the tank (take them back to the store with the fry) and wait out the rest of the drops of fry from the females so you no longer have fry being dropped but you also get to enjoy the fish in a peaceful manner.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
Mcasella said:
I would say fry them up and sprinkle them on a burger, but the crunch might be unpleasant.
I think I lost my appetite haha.
 

OneLittleBubble

Well Known Member
Messages
529
Reaction score
109
Points
38
Experience
5 to 10 years
Smalltownfishfriend said:
I just let mine in the tank.. the other fish take care of them!! Hope it doesn't sound to cruel.. but.. gotta keep the population down..!
<Me too! I leave them in the tank until about a week then scoop them into a small tank. The ones alive usually have fewer deformities and have the best survivability
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

Nicole B

Well Known Member
Messages
502
Reaction score
81
Points
63
Experience
1 year
I always feel bad they don’t get any food and end up putting them in a breeding net. Lol
 

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
Mcasella said:
After a long time most livebearers that have eaten a lot of fry can get disinterested in eating them (maybe they get tired of the taste?). If i have an abundance of fry I have other fish I can feed them to as a snack, if you do not want them I would suggest removing the males from the tank (take them back to the store with the fry) and wait out the rest of the drops of fry from the females so you no longer have fry being dropped but you also get to enjoy the fish in a peaceful manner.
Can I ask why keeping the females over the males is a good idea? I have a pregnant female so waiting to see if I have any that survive and if I should keep the males or females.
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,409
Reaction score
4,378
Points
458
Experience
5 to 10 years
Photobelle said:
Can I ask why keeping the females over the males is a good idea? I have a pregnant female so waiting to see if I have any that survive and if I should keep the males or females.
Males can get aggressive without any females and spend time chasing and nipping each other depending on personality and have aggressive they currently are trying to mate with females. Females still establish a hierarchy but once it is in place they are pretty lazy and aren't chasing anything to mate with it and they generally don't care too much about other females.
Warnings are that some males have their hormones turn on later so what you think is a female at 3 months old gets the switch flipped and is a male at 4 months old. Females store sperm so a female that has had one contact with a male will produce several births of fry, normally up to six times is considered the longest they'll go. They can store sperm up to a year and can prevent themselves from giving birth until they physically can't anymore (normally under 40 days, regular pregnancy is 28 days long. I have some females that do 35 days before they pop).
 

Photobelle

Valued Member
Messages
264
Reaction score
51
Points
68
Experience
Just started
Mcasella said:
Males can get aggressive without any females and spend time chasing and nipping each other depending on personality and have aggressive they currently are trying to mate with females. Females still establish a hierarchy but once it is in place they are pretty lazy and aren't chasing anything to mate with it and they generally don't care too much about other females.
Warnings are that some males have their hormones turn on later so what you think is a female at 3 months old gets the switch flipped and is a male at 4 months old. Females store sperm so a female that has had one contact with a male will produce several births of fry, normally up to six times is considered the longest they'll go. They can store sperm up to a year and can prevent themselves from giving birth until they physically can't anymore (normally under 40 days, regular pregnancy is 28 days long. I have some females that do 35 days before they pop).
How do you tell they are ready to have the babies (platy)? I swear she has been pregnant forever. I am cycling my tank and waiting for her to have the babies before getting more fish but only having 1 fish in a 20g isn't fun.
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,409
Reaction score
4,378
Points
458
Experience
5 to 10 years
Photobelle said:
How do you tell they are ready to have the babies (platy)? I swear she has been pregnant forever. I am cycling my tank and waiting for her to have the babies before getting more fish but only having 1 fish in a 20g isn't fun.
They normally get a box \_/ look to them before they pop, the vent the babies come from may protrude from the body before birth happens. I would provide lots of cover for her to feel secure (fake or real plants floating at the top and in a corner of the tank so can "hide" in and give birth to them). Most livebearers will eat their own babies.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom