What do you do with the fry?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by StarGirl2, Mar 23, 2010.

1. S

StarGirl2 New Member Member

If you didn't mean to breed but you ended up with fry, what can you do with them?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. outlaw

outlaw Well Known Member Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Depending on the fish, they may just eat them (circle of life). This is also a lot of good nutrients for the other fish
    I know our fish will eat the fry if you don't remove them.

Depending on your tank and species of fish, you can let them grow out, then trade to a local fish store for a store credit or items (varies per store).

How big is your tank?
    What type of fish are they?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  3. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I have/continue to share them with fishlorians :)

4. OP
    OP
    S

I only have a 10 gal with a cory in it right now, but i was just wondering about this because i am hoping to set up a 55 gal soon and get some guppies, but i know they are very prolific breeders so...

5. outlaw

Here's a LINK to Fishlore's Guppy page.

Tells you how to sex them and says "they will eat the young if not separated". If you don't want to worry about it, you can get all of the same sex. Keep in mind though, if you get females, they may already be pregnant.

6. OP
    OP
    S

Yes i read that they will get eaten i was just wondering if there were any other options, like trading them i didn't know you could do that. Thanks!
    Oh and i had bought a couple of dalmatian mollies before, one did turn out to be pregnant, but the store did not tell me about the nitrogen cycle and i was a complete newbie and they all died before she could drop the babies :(

7. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNA Valued Member Member

Guppies will eat there young try endlers instead good cover and they fill a tank pretty fast and usually your local store will give you store credit for some.

8. outlaw

With trading to the fish store, they may not take them. Usually it's a case of supply and demand.

Our LFS took ours because they were nice. They did eventually sell them but I didn't get much credit for them because they aren't one of the popular types. Either way, a store credit is nearly the same as free money. lol

9. OP
    OP
    S

Yeah i think if i ended up with a pregnant fish i would phone around and see first if a store will take them. Free money is always good! What type of fish did you trade?

10. outlaw

Ours were Red Fin Cichlids, not nearly as popular as guppies. They are in my signature if you click the link (left side is our tank with the juvies in it, right side is an info page)

11. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

I have guppies and my tank has a bijillion fry in it. They may eat a few but more than enough survive. I have lots of plants with some floating which gives plenty of hiding places.

I usually give them away when it gets too crowded. I would definitely wait until you get a bigger tank as they will fill the 10 gal up quick.

Good Luck

12. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

tell my guppies to do that will ya? not all eat them.some swim with them like they are best friends :party0009:
    +2

13. OP
    OP
    S

Oh no i would never let guppies breed in a 10! I'm not getting any more fish until i get a 55 set up, for sure.
    And Outlaw you have a beautiful tank and cool fish! I don't think i've ever even seen that type before but they look nice. I'd love to set up my 55 something like that, with dark substrate and rock piles and plants. :)

14. outlaw

Thanks! They were actually raised from eggs believe it or not :D

When you get your 55 though, don't be surprised when you get overwhelmed with the possibilities of decorations and configurations you can do.

Good Luck and if you haven't noticed already, we are all picture addicts. Make sure to post pics. :D

15. OP
    OP
    S

I will! I actually haven't been with my cory, Gary, for the last couple of months because we moved 12 hours away and i had no clue how and even if we could move him safely, but we are going back for a visit for Easter and i'll be sure to take some pictures of Gary!
    And i would like to decorate the way i said but every once in a while i'll see someone's tank on here and think 'well that looks good...maybe...' lol i'll probably spend weeks before i decide on decorations and set up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice