what do you do with dirty water? Question

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by midthought, Mar 20, 2010.

1. midthought

midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

And I don't mean like when you're doing a water change (and you can just water some plants with it). I mean really dirty -- like when you're cleaning substrate and it leaves dust/sand residue on the bathtub floor.

And more to the point -- if you have no access to a backyard because you live in an apartment, what do you do with it? What's the responsible thing to do with water that may well lead to clogged pipes and angry landlords?

2. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

where did you get rock that dirty it would clog pipes? i dont think you'd want to use that in a fish tank...jmho

3. OP
    OP
    midthought

My personal point of reference is rinsing substrate designed for planted tanks -- and in particularly, sand, Fluorite (red), and Florabase. The dust that kicks up from cleaning Fluorite and Florabase is pretty bad and very strong in color.

4. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

Do you get to have a garden on the roof or any kind of outdoor water you can use?
    I have never lived is a city that big so the only other thing i can think of is to ask your LFS if you can wash it there and put it in totes or bags to carry it home in..

5. OP
    OP
    midthought

No roof access in this building (and I dare say most buildings don't have gardens in any case on the roof). There's just a backyard area that only one apartment on the ground floor has access to. And that apartment belongs to my landlord.

I guess I could ask the LFS, but even if they let me, I can only imagine a few situations worse than that. :( Lugging 20 pounds of dry substrate home in a backpack through the subway system is bad enough. Mind you, I don't have a car either. So frustrating...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice