What Do You Do With All The Fry?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by EmmaBudgie, Apr 21, 2017.

1. EmmaBudgieValued MemberMember

Hi all, this may seem like a really dumb question but I want to know...

A lot of you seem to be eager to have your fish breed which is cool. But what do you do with all the babies when they grow up? Do you keep them and get another tank? How do you all not have endless tanks if so? Or do you sell them?

If you don't want the babies, do you just remove the eggs? (Non live bearers of course) Also, is it mean to let your fish eat fry if you do not want to breed/raise fry/baby fish? I don't want to be mean to my fish and take away their eggs/let their babies be eaten but I'm not interested in breeding or babies

2. FashoogaFishlore VIPMember

Many do sell the fish or build other tanks. Some LFS will take them for free if you don't want them.

Don't think it's mean that fish eat the babies. It's part of nature. It's the survival of the fittest. Sharks eat other fish and tires...Cod fish have been known to eat other fish and their own. Tilapia...well their the poo eating fish.

3. pixelhootValued MemberMember

Hello! Not a dumb question, I promise. I had the same question myself once my guppies started breeding.
    I usually take my matured fry to the LFS since they take good care of them where I'm at. I believe certain bottom feeders will eat the eggs happily and many fish do enjoy fry (don't worry about feeling guilty--it's life). I hope this helps!

4. EternalDancerWell Known MemberMember

Definitely "survival of the fittest".

I leave my guppies in the main tank, they drop their fry, majority get eaten.

I do occasionally fish a couple of overnight survivors out to a safe tank until they get bigger and put them back in the main tank, and if I have too many babies survive, I occasionally pick a few out and take them to lfs.
    I like to switch some out every now and then anyway, so as there's "fresh blood" in the mix and I don't end up with parents mating with children.

5. smee82Fishlore VIPMember

Eggs and fry are left in my tank to get eaten and if any survive i give the away to my neighbours if i dont want them

6. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Big fish eat little fish, like feeding a bunch of white cloud fry to my 2 honey gouramis.

7. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

I raise and sell fry. Not really for money, as the payoff is small. But it certainly covers fishfood, and most of the costs attached to the hobby.
    To do this, I do need tanks to raise fry in, and I have make decisions about which species will be wanted - a guppy is close to worthless, but an uncommon species will fetch a good price. You have to be strategic and plan a bit, but that is fun anyway.
    I sell in my regional aquarium clubs, online sometimes and sometimes to stores.

8. CarrieFisherWell Known MemberMember

I got a molly with ZERO intention to breed and she had her babies while in quarantine (she was very thin and i had NO idea that she was preggo).

I had no idea what i was going to do, i looked into "free to a good home" solution, but thank goodness my one lfs finally returned my email and not only will they take them, but they're going to give me store credit!
    Which is great for me, bc:
    A.) Then i can probably finish my stocking plan for little to nothing, and
    B.) IF there is any remaining balance, they are a SeaChem dealer and carry every SeaChem product under the sun.
    So I'll either pick up whatever chems i need or I'll just score some Metro or Kanaplex, for "just in case"

9. EmmaBudgieValued MemberMember

Thanks so much for the feedback everyone. I don't intend to have any livebearers but I think I'm going to let nature take care of itself in my tank and if any survive, I'll try rehome or give them to the lfs (if they'll take them). I'm in Australia so I don't really know any other fishkeepers or groups in my area haha

10. Mom2someWell Known MemberMember

I have selected all male livebearers for this reason.

11. TjthunderValued MemberMember

I've been breeding my Neolamprologus Similis which is great because they fetch a pretty penny. And it's helps pay for other things I need in the hobby. Plus they're are rarer fish to find so that helps. I have a deal worked out with my LFS that they buy them back from me.

12. KiksWell Known MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice