What do you do when the power goes out? 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by FLGirl, Apr 15, 2010.

1. FLGirl

FLGirlWell Known MemberMember

Hey, Our power went out yesterday. Thank goodness it wasn't long enough to do any damage but what should you do when something like that happens because it turns off the heater and filter and I don't have an airpump(considering it for future) but if I did it would turn that off too. What should you do when things like that happen?

2. Lucy

LucyModeratorModerator Member

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  3. Prince Powder

Prince PowderWell Known MemberMember

Wrap the tank with a blanket as soon as possible to retain any heat for as long as possible. Make sure your media stays wet. (some filters drain out when they're turned off) They sell battery operated air pumps so those are always good to have on hand in case of an emergency. Keep a close eye on water parameters if your tank is off for an extended period of time as the lack of filtration can cause a mini cycle. It's always wise to have plenty of Prime or Amquel Plus on hand in the event of a mini cycle as you may have to go to daily water changes if it's off for several days.

4. REDKAHUNA

REDKAHUNAValued MemberMember

Fire Up The Generator

5. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Thanks, We don't have a generator that runs everything right now. So I think I'll look into getting the battery powered stuff. Thanks!

6. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

I do water changes to maintain temp and aeration. Small ones are all that's needed.

7. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Yeah, but when my power went out I lose water so I couldn't do a water change if it stayed that way. I did take the hood off and also made sure my filter stuff stayed wet (also in the process of cycling was worried Id get pushed back to square one) . I moved the water some too & made bubbles. It was fairly warm so the temp wasn't to big of a deal. ....I'm defiantly going to look into battery operated air pump and one link showed how to hook up some filtration. I suppose its just good stuff to have on hand esp with hurricane season creeping up. Thanks everyone!

8. Jaysee

JayseeFishlore LegendMember

you can get them cheap at a tackle shop

9. OP
    OP
    FLGirl

Really? I'll have to check that out, cheap would great. lol Thanks!

10. Craig-DValued MemberMember

I have a battery operated air pump as backup aeration that will automatically activate when in detects ac power is turned off, so emergency aeration is covered even when I'm away. Water will actually retain its temperature for awhile, so if the power loss is for a few hours you'll be fine. Most tropical fish can handle temps in the high 60s for a short while. If it's going to be days without power, start heating water on the stove (assuming you have a gas stove) and add a little bit every now and then to keep the tank's temp up. If all else fails, get your fish into a 5 gallon bucket with your heater and portable airstone and get them to the nearest friend's house who has power.

I have a backup for everything my tank could need. A spare heater, water pump, battery powered air pump, etc. I am prepared for any equipment failure or short-term power outtage, and my contingency plan for extended power outtage in cold weather is to move all my fish in dual 5 gallon buckets to the nearest friend/family member with power.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice