What do you do if the power goes out? Question

1. bescher

bescher Member Member

How many of you have a backup plan? (If this has been discussed before moderator please remove and I apologize)

Do you know what to do?
    A. Don't worry about the filters
    B. Go and buy a battery powered air pump for your air stones or sponge filters
    That will keep the oxygen going until power comes back which hopefully isn't weeks

2. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

I got a cheap UPS that powers my C-220 and AQ50 for roughly 30 minutes.

3. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

A few days with no power should be fine. A battery operated pump is good to have if know your power will be out for a few days.

If you know a storm is coming, I would prepare for the worst and do a pwc. Don't feed your fish ( they can go weeks without food - if in a pinch ) and try to conserve that way.

I have known people who were affected by the hurricanes/storms that lost power for 3 weeks and very few died.

Here's the interesting thing about what happened to me recently - I emptied out my old tank over 3 weeks ago. There was maybe 4 inches of water in the tank with no heater and no filter. I had moved all of my fish in my new tank 3 weeks ago and was getting ready to tear this tank down.
    I was surprised when I found fry! Zebra danio fry! I managed to save about a dozen of them but was just so surprised that they survived that long with no food, no heater and no filtration! Also, my millions of MTS snails are still alive!
    So I think they can survive without all of that for longer than we think - and most of us do get our power back within a few days, tops.

Also, keep the filters wet and they should not lose the BB. They don't die off as easily as we think as long as there is water covering it.

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Here's the information we have stickied at the top of the General Discussion forum:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/general-discussion/55586-time-prepare-power-outages.html

A reminder for everyone is be ready for an outage is never a bad thing. :)

5. Junne

Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Oh yes, I forgot to add about hand warmers...

You can get those at the drug store and keep them on hand. They're always good to have and to my knowledge, they don't go bad unless activated.

6. Steelersfishguy

Steelersfishguy Initiate Member

Hi. !
    I got a battery back up, the kind used for computers from Best Buy.
    I live in Florida during the Summer the power goes out a lot ! The battery back up I got will run everything for about. 6 hours but we also have a Generator

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

7. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Look in the paper and see when your local Harbor Freight is having a sale which includes Generators. I purchased a large generator for around $250 that will run my refrigerators, tanks, evaporative cooler, amongst other things with out problem. They also sell small generators that will run one of your tanks just fine, heater and all. Best of luck and stay safe.

8. f

frogfan Well Known Member Member

I plan on buying a few computer battery back ups to run my tanks if the power goes out again. we lost ours for about 4 hours last night and i was unprepared .

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

9. delta5

delta5 Well Known Member Member

Those PSUs are only meant to save your hardware, clean the power, and give you time to shut down. After further trial runs with my ups I found it best to just run an air pump and put your filter media in the tank to keep it wet.

10. f

frogfan Well Known Member Member

im switching to sponge filters from hob filters so all ill need to run is the air pumps and maybe the heaters they are small tanks so they lost 4-5 degrees each in just the 4 hours the heaters were off last night