What Do You Do For Your Fish When They Pass? Question

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by IchthyPen, Apr 13, 2018.

1. IchthyPen

IchthyPen New Member Member

I know many people flush their fish, some bury them, and some burn them but I want to know what you do.
    My molly, Anna, recently died and for her, I put her in a box filled with parting words, drawings, flowers and buried her. I want to know what you do for those fish that have unfortunately passed away.

Do you just flush them or bury them or do you do more? What do you do for the fish friend that you cared for when they sadly pass?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2018
  2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Burn them?!? i bury them at a tree where i can visit time to time to grief to the ones who have passed...

3. OP
    OP
    IchthyPen

Burn as in like cremate or give a viking funeral. I looked up what some people do and some do send em off like vikings. That is quite a nice place to bury a fish, by a tree.

4. Milliemae124

Milliemae124 Valued Member Member

I bury my fish in a little flower patch in my garden :)

5. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

Indeed the tree has the souls of my fish, but i still wouldn't burn my fish, like who would cremate there own pet?! How do the pet crematers do it? do they have no heart or soul?

6. Mary765

Mary765 Well Known Member Member

It depends. If it was a fish or fry I hadnt known for long I would just bin or flush them but if it was a fish I had come to know and love then they would recieve a special garden buerial amongst my other lost pets (we take good care of them I swear but we have kept so many pets for so long that they come and go..)

7. JoeCamaro

JoeCamaro Well Known Member Member

Put in a plastic bag and throw then in the garbage bin.
    I know, I know, not nice compared to what have been discussed, but I don't like to flush fish because I wouldn't want to potentially introduce deseases to local bodies of water.

8. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I always just flush my fish, or wrap them up and dispose of them.
    Don't find it necessary to bury it, or create a memorial.

9. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I trash them.

10. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

i bury them in my garden or flower pots

11. NLindsey921

NLindsey921 Well Known Member Member

I bury mine and wish it luck on its journey thru the circle of life and energy. It normally gets burried under plants in my flower pots.

12. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutch Fishlore Legend Member

I lay them in the open field and 2ait for vultures ti show up. Only noticed after years that we've no vultures around.

Joking : I bin them

13. OP
    OP
    IchthyPen

I do get that it is dangerous to flush a fish that could hurt others where it ends up with whatever disease killed it. That is one of my reasons that I don't like to flush fish.

14. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

I bury my fish in my garden.

I think I'm a little late for the cremation talk, but I heard of a woman that tried to cremate her dog in her oven and accidentally baked it.

15. SegiDream

SegiDream Well Known Member Member

They get wrapped in a paper towel and dropped in the trash. I suppose I probably could flush them cause they would only get as far as the septic tank but 1) I couldn't handle it if they swirled the bowl and wouldn't go down 2) I would always subconsciously wonder if they were really dead and what if they swam back up (no matter how impossible that seems). But if my favorite molly girl passes she might get buried beside the hamster.

16. N8_the_Gr8

N8_the_Gr8 Valued Member Member

I usually bury them as I don’t like to throw them out as “trash” or flush them because that is bad for the sewers. I like to just bury them in the backyard. Been a while since I did that but that is a good thing.

17. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Oh that’s dreadful! You cannot cremate larger animals in an oven unless you have extreme heat (well above what ovens provide) and can tolerate the smell.

That’s why cremations take place in a separate building, with tons of venting above the outside roof.

18. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

Depending on the circumstances at the time they are buried as a family member or cremated in ceremony in our circle.

19. Swampgorilla

Swampgorilla Valued Member Member

I tie mine up in a plastic bag and throw them in the trash. The plastic bag keeps them from smelling until the garbage man hauls them away.

20. psalm18.2

psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I've tossed in the woods, buried in flower pots, and placed in the trash. Depends how attached I am to the fish and the size of the fish. Never flushed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice