What do you do about betas escaping

Fishkeeping7777

Please help so I got this 10 gallon with one beta which was originally post to be divided I finally got the divider today I have what I’ve been using for a long time but I needed a black one to betas one female and one male so everything so far goes good the divider I know this is a little too big for my tank so it’s divided at angle but there’s two in there right there’s no way they can get out so I set everything up everything goes good for the most part I walk in my room my fish room and I’m like where is my fish my female Bon Qui qui cannot find her I look at my males side and I see her and him just swimming around not fighting not chasing or anything just normal I guess I just came in there when she got out I don’t know how she got out but I found a small crack that a guppy couldn’t even fit through I blocked off all the cracks I can find I’ll be checking on a time through time throughout the day I just don’t really have any other Tank for her I would have to set up a whole other tank that would take up at least months and no I’m not taking her back I’ve been having her for two months I’ll just put her back in her quarantine but so far everything‘s going good except for that what to do about the situation

Noroomforshoe

I have heard so many stories of bettas breaking through dividers, they are escape artists. You might be able to DIY a large breeding net for temporary use until you can get another tank. like with plastic canvas and cheesecloth or somthing. Sorry I dont have any better ideas.

Fishkeeping7777

I have heard so many stories of bettas breaking through dividers, they are escape artists. You might be able to DIY a large breeding net for temporary use until you can get another tank. like with plastic canvas and cheesecloth or somthing. Sorry I dont have any better ideas.
I think I fixed it because I found a small crack again like a guppy could fit through she is about the size of a guppy why male is the size of like a remote he is a chunker so it’s very important to me to keep them separated I patched up the hole and all last night they didn’t escape in this morning she didn’t escape either so I think they’re good for right now I’ll be checking on them time through time to make sure though i’m just happy that I don’t have another male because It could could’ve ended in a fight

Fishkeeping7777

Update she found another way to got out I found her in my other baba side of the tank again so I added some tubing around the divider to make sure that there is no cracks I don’t know how she’s getting to the other side there’s two dividers and two guards so I have no idea what her mean by guards of stuff stopping her from getting to the other side she likes to sit at the bottom when she’s scared so I don’t think she’s coming from the bottom because every time I push down the divider to go deeper to the tank it doesn’t it stops so must be hitting the bottom so I have no clue I’m just gonna keep trying and trying I’m just gonna set up a camera to see if she’s getting out and how

Noroomforshoe

You could take the fish out, empty and dry the tank, the sylicone the divider to the walls, let it cure for the time it suggests on the bottle, then put everything back.

Fishkeeping7777

You could take the fish out, empty and dry the tank, the sylicone the divider to the walls, let it cure for the time it suggests on the bottle, then put everything back.
Oh thats a good idea but its i’m going to be a while my dad just got out of surgery so I can’t drive not old enough yet

JustAFishServant

I agree with Noroomforshoe - I actually make my own dividers using a cheap glass pane from Lowe's ($4), silicone caulk ($3.50 - GE Silicone 1 or 2 for windows/doors), I had a caulk gun but if not it'd only be an additional $8 or so. I wet sand (like 30¢), then use Krylon fusion spray paint, the fish-safe, to paint the glass divider black (I think it's $9). Overall I made diy glass dividers for less than $26 with tax, AND I can reuse everything I got for the one divider to make many more. It's a business tactic of mine in fact. There's a divider that's very highly rated but it costs $40 ALONE. I make many dividers for less than half that! Now I know you're unable to drive but do your parents bring you anywhere? If not, you can get anything listed above online delivered to your door. For an easier route, just simply silicone the divider you already have like Noroomforshoe mentioned. There's this (kind of pricey but very good) black silicone caulk meant for aquariums on amazon for around $11. Just search "aquarium silicone caulk". This will be delivered to you.

I presume you bought a mesh divider? I wouldn't be surprised if they broke or your betta escaped. They're cheap, that's why I make my own :)

Fishkeeping7777

I agree with Noroomforshoe - I actually make my own dividers using a cheap glass pane from Lowe's ($4), silicone caulk ($3.50 - GE Silicone 1 or 2 for windows/doors), I had a caulk gun but if not it'd only be an additional $8 or so. I wet sand (like 30¢), then use Krylon fusion spray paint, the fish-safe, to paint the glass divider black (I think it's $9). Overall I made diy glass dividers for less than $26 with tax, AND I can reuse everything I got for the one divider to make many more. It's a business tactic of mine in fact. There's a divider that's very highly rated but it costs $40 ALONE. I make many dividers for less than half that! Now I know you're unable to drive but do your parents bring you anywhere? If not, you can get anything listed above online delivered to your door. For an easier route, just simply silicone the divider you already have like Noroomforshoe mentioned. There's this (kind of pricey but very good) black silicone caulk meant for aquariums on amazon for around $11. Just search "aquarium silicone caulk". This will be delivered to you.

I presume you bought a mesh divider? I wouldn't be surprised if they broke or your betta escaped. They're cheap, that's why I make my own :)
No its glass but yea when i can i surely will i can probably get it delivered

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
  • Question
Replies
Views
FoldedCheese
Replies
Views