What do you change in the filter?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Emberdee, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Emberdee

Emberdee Valued Member Member

Hello! :;hi1 I was wondering what you replace/change when you are servicing your filter. Do you change the whole cartridge thing or do you just change the carbon? Do you change the sponge part rather than the carbon? I was just curious and I don't want to put my tank into a mini cycle when the time comes. :;thx

2. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

the idea is that the sponge is what holds the bacteria so never change it.

3. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

So you can change the cartridges but not the sponge?

4. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

The coarsest material, (usually sponge) should never really be replaced. Simply rinsed out in old tank water, (never tap water). Carbon should be replaced every 3-6 weeks depending on quality & the amount of 'contaminants' it has to remove from the water. Fine filter material like floss can be rinsed out or replaced.

I hope that helps.

5. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Of course, its always a good idea to stuff the filter chock-full with filter floss in case of a mini-cycle.

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I replaced all the pads, charcoal and such with sponges many years ago. I rinse them out in used tank water and put them back in. Very economical and they will hold lots of beneficial bacteria.
    Carol

7. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Okay, thanks! I don't want to ever have to put my tank into a mini-cycle, so now I know what I should and shouldn't replace. :) Thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice