What Do These Parameters Mean?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jed, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Jed

JedValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    I cleaned my tank two days ago I rinsed off my mechanical filters in the old water at the end but left my bio rings alone, I had to take them out for a minute to re adjust my hob media but the definitely stayed wet. This morning I woke up and my tank looked like this (very foggy, pic doesn’t do justice).
    C1A3F43E-0D91-4F14-9D24-CB9A7D626C56. The only other thing I did was change lighting schedule from 12 to 8 hours to eliminate Algae as seen in picture. My water parameters are 6.7 ph, 1.5ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite, and 20 ppm nitrate. 6E3AF74E-516E-42A6-ADFE-951B82B73223. What’s happening?

2. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Cleaning the tank can stir things up and give you an ammonia spike. If your cycle is still intact it should go back down in a day or 2. Just add prime and retest every 12 hours or so.

3. Dechi

DechiValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +210
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Are you sure your tank is cycled ? How old is it ? It might have been too soon to rinse off the media in your tank.

4. OP
    OP
    Jed

JedValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    Years old, just set up new hob media bc I found the stupid pet smart carts aren’t enough. I have biorings, the carbon floss cartridge, and a sponge. It’s also been set up for months now.

I will add prime, do you think it could be a mini cycle due to rinsing of mechanical media? I read that cloudy water is caused by bacterial blooms.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2019
  5. Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    My tank gets cloudy and minor ammonia spikes after a deep clean. Usually clearing in 12 hours.you may have a mini cycle going on there. Your ph is a bit concerning. Beneficial bacteria have a tough time in ph Lower then 7.0. The good thing about that low ph is that ammonia is less toxic.

Further testing over the next few days will answer that question.

6. OP
    OP
    Jed

JedValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +9
    I’ve tried everything but can’t seem to keep a steady 7 Ph

7. Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's not that low. Many of us would love to have that ph. Probably have a low KH. As long as its stable.

The only bad thing is invertebrates are tough to keep in soft water.

On a positive note that's a great ph to breed many species of fish. South American cichlids come to mind.