What do snails eat? Should I purposely feed it? (My tank is cycling)

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Emberdee, Mar 29, 2010.

1. Emberdee

Emberdee Valued Member Member

Hello! :;hi1 I got some live plants a while back and just recently I realized I picked up a hitchhiker snail. I don't want it to die as I think it looks really neat. But, as my tank is cycling with raw fish, I don't have anything to feed it, except some goldfish food. Should I drop in some food, like goldfish food or vegetables to feed the snail? Or will it do just fine with live plants for another week or so before I get fish? Thanks for your input! :;thx

2. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

Probably the snails will start to migrate toward the raw fish :). Assuming the cycling process doesn't kill them, they should be fine with eating anything they can find in the tank. If they're pond snails they seem to be pretty invincible.

If you really like them then be prepared to have more than you can count as they reproduce rapidly.

3. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

It'll be hard for them to get to the raw fish, as it is floating and in a filter bag. I don't think my snail is a pond snail... It looks kind of like a ramshorn snail. I don't really want them to reproduce, and I can only see one. I'll cross my fingers that it survives and doesn't reproduce. :)

4. thequietman44

thequietman44 Valued Member Member

I've never kept ramshorn snails so I really don't know about their hardiness. I would think the cycling process would be hard on any living creature, but that's your decision. My snails eat zucchini, algae wafers, really anything organic :). Not sure if ramshorns are the same.

5. t

thorpbrian Valued Member Member

It WILL reproduce and you'll eventually have LOTS of them.

I wouldn't worry about feeding it anything.

6. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Oh thanks! I didn't choose to get the snail, it just popped up. It must have been from my plants. Eventually the snail will get food from the fish. My cycle is finished, I'm just waiting for it to stabilize before I get fish, and I'm still deciding. Thanks :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice