what do shrimps look like after skin shed?

tatnsteph

Reaction score
I bought 2 shrimps about 8 weeks ago, 1 dissapeared after about a week the other vanished about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday I give tank a good hoover and a third water change and I found 2 strange looking critters in the tank they were both the same but I didnt recognise them as anything, I didn`t want to risk my fish so I flushed these 2 critters.
Dosing off to sleep last night I thought about these 2 critters and I thought what if they were my shrimps that have shedded, it kept me awake for a while.
I know there's nothing I can do about them now but if it was them I don't want to make the same mistake again.
Can any-one help or advise please?
Tat

bbfeckawitts

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You would definitely be able to recognize them, I don't know what it could be in your tank :-\

OP
T

tatnsteph

Reaction score
These critters were about an inch long and thin, kind of browny gold colour one was swimming like a fish the other was walking on the bottom of tank at the end of there tails was like 3 little feathery things, very strange!
I wondered if maybe some kind of water nymph eggs were amongst plant roots or something. Its doing my head in.
Tat

Toddnbecka

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Three tails sounds like the gills of an aquatic nymph. Shrimp look the same after molting, though their color may be off until the new shell hardens. It's possible the nymphs ate the shrimp, some species are predatory.

New Threads