What do Saltwater fish primarily eat?

ystrout

Over the last 6 months I've been gathering as much info as I can for when I start my first saltwater tank after buying a house. I've learned so much just reading on this forum and doing research. But I realized, I have no idea what gives a marine fish a healthy diet. I'm guessing it depends on the fish, just like freshwater... But can you help me out with some questions?

With this stocking likely in a 125 gallon tank:
Flame angel
fairy wrasse of some sort
Group of saddleback clowns
chalk bass
clean up crew
A couple gobies or firefish
A couple blue reef chromis if I'm not at stocking capacity with what's above.

*What would I want to feed them? Obviously a mixed diet, but can I have some examples? Mysis, Krill, Plankton, mussel seaweed, veggies? All or this or remove any?
*Do they get more mysis and less plankton, etc?
*What % would I feed them frozen and what % would I feed them dry food?
*Are the single ingredient frozen foods or the formulated foods better?
*What is the nutritional value of mysis shrimp? My freshwater puffers get a lot of it and it seems to be a staple in the saltwater side? So is it really that good?
*Do dwarf angels need sponges like larger ones do? And can the other fish eat sponge as well? I see SFBB makes an 'angel and butteryfly formula'. Could the whole community eat that when I feed the angel or do I need to hand feed the angel?
*Would I want to soak the food in vitamin enrichment?

I have a rare freshwater puffer, some dwarf puffers, as well as danios/tetras, and a betta (in 3 separate tanks). I'm used to feeding a varied diet, growing special food (snails), feeding the group while I hand feed my puffers, etc. There are just so many food options for sale I don't know what I'd give them.

Thanks!

Jesterrace

Honestly as diversified an Omnivore diet as you can get is best for most fish and of course it does depend on the fish in question. On your list they are all omnivores and carnivores. If you want to make it easy on yourself you can just do what many have done and go to a mixed frozen diet such as LRS Reef Frenzy as it's basically an all in one food source (feeds fish, corals and other inverts) and a very clean food source to boot. I have tried many food sources and all I feed now is LRS Reef Frenzy and then supplement some additional Seaweed/NorI for my Foxface and Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel (my wrasses like it as well). That's it. Otherwise you have to go get multiple food sources and alternate everything to keep them healthy long term.

This is everything that LRS Reef Frenzy offers in one food source:

ystrout

Honestly as diversified an Omnivore diet as you can get is best for most fish and of course it does depend on the fish in question. On your list they are all omnivores and carnivores. If you want to make it easy on yourself you can just do what many have done and go to a mixed frozen diet such as LRS Reef Frenzy as it's basically an all in one food source (feeds fish, corals and other inverts) and a very clean food source to boot. I have tried many food sources and all I feed now is LRS Reef Frenzy and then supplement some additional Seaweed/NorI for my Foxface and Coral Beauty Dwarf Angel (my wrasses like it as well). That's it. Otherwise you have to go get multiple food sources and alternate everything to keep them healthy long term.

This is everything that LRS Reef Frenzy offers in one food source:

Oh that's cool that it has so much in it. Is the seaweed/norI you put in your tank enough for the green portion of the omnivores diet? It doesn't look like there's any greens in the Reef Frenzy fish food.

Do you ever feed dry food or no?

Jesterrace

Oh that's cool that it has so much in it. Is the seaweed/norI you put in your tank enough for the green portion of the omnivores diet? It doesn't look like there's any greens in the Reef Frenzy fish food.

Do you ever feed dry food or no?

Reef Frenzy does have some seaweed/norI in it, I just feel that the omnivores and my herbivore Foxface should have some supplemental green in their diet. I do one small feeding of NorI daily and 2 small feedings of LRS Reef Frenzy per day and that's it. They all get well fed and seem to do well.

As for feeding dry food, I used to, but the problem is that they are almost always loaded with cheap fillers/preservatives. When I ran my first 36 gallon bowfront, I ran it without a skimmer for a while and tried a bunch of different foods and all the ones except LRS Reef Frenzy put dirty brown muck in the water each time I fed it. That gave me a pretty good idea on the quality of the food source and I have stuck with LRS Reef Frenzy ever since. I also like the fact that I don't have to buy multiple foods with it in order to give them a wide variety diet.

ystrout

Reef Frenzy does have some seaweed/norI in it, I just feel that the omnivores and my herbivore Foxface should have some supplemental green in their diet. I do one small feeding of NorI daily and 2 small feedings of LRS Reef Frenzy per day and that's it. They all get well fed and seem to do well.

As for feeding dry food, I used to, but the problem is that they are almost always loaded with cheap fillers/preservatives. When I ran my first 36 gallon bowfront, I ran it without a skimmer for a while and tried a bunch of different foods and all the ones except LRS Reef Frenzy put dirty brown muck in the water each time I fed it. That gave me a pretty good idea on the quality of the food source and I have stuck with LRS Reef Frenzy ever since. I also like the fact that I don't have to buy multiple foods with it in order to give them a wide variety diet.
Oh I see. That makes sense.

Last question. Is seeweed/norI the only "greens" they need in their diet? Or do I need to give them some additional greens?

My omnivore freshwater fish get their greens spurilina based flakes and crushed up veggie rounds from NLS (that have a bunch of seaweed and veggies in them). I figure it's quite a bit of greens so it varies their diet. So I just wonder if seeweed/norI is enough for that part of their diet.

I'm sure they nibble on micro algae that grows on the rock as well...

Thanks for all the help!

saltwater60

Depends on the fish. Some have vast diet and some have very specific diets as in they really only eat one thing.

Jesterrace

Oh I see. That makes sense.

Last question. Is seeweed/norI the only "greens" they need in their diet? Or do I need to give them some additional greens?

My omnivore freshwater fish get their greens spurilina based flakes and crushed up veggie rounds from NLS (that have a bunch of seaweed and veggies in them). I figure it's quite a bit of greens so it varies their diet. So I just wonder if seeweed/norI is enough for that part of their diet.

I'm sure they nibble on micro algae that grows on the rock as well...

Thanks for all the help!

Seaweed should be fine. It's pretty nutrient dense. They will graze on a bit of algae around the tank.

ystrout

Thank you both for the info!

saltwater60

Agreed. There is various colors of seaweed and each one should have a bit of different vitamins and stuff. You can change up the color here and there for better nutrition.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JtheFishMan
Replies
Views
CrisisQuaid
Replies
Views
Jesterrace
Replies
Views