What Do Owners Do To Their Chinese Highfin Sharks When They Reach Adulthood?

abc123userabc123

Reaction score
I see that a lot of people buy these fish because they look good as juveniles with the small striped body and large fin. These are then usually kept at small aquariums. What happens though once they grow into adults? These adults grow really huge and need ponds. In my opinion they don't look as good anymore. What do the owners do once the chinese highfin sharks are no longer juveniles? I am sure not everyone who buys them have the space to keep them as adults. Do they lose value as adults?

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Pretty sure most don't reach their potential, whether it's size or lifespan. However, I've read some koI keepers putting them in ponds with koI for their algae-eating capabilities.

OP
abc123userabc123

abc123userabc123

Reaction score
NickAu said:
Most end up getting flushed sadly.

Just like Black ghost knives Common plecos and Clown loaches just to name a few.

My local fish place takes in larger fish.

Video is my work.
What about black ghost knives? They get flushed too?? But they don't grow that large..

NickAu

Well Known
Reaction score
A BGK can grow to 50 centimetres ( 20 inches ) when they are so;d they are about 4 to 5 inches long and most people that buy them put then into small tanks.

sloughdog

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Florida is a case study in all kinds of exotics from fish to reptiles that become too much to keep and then released into the wild. My personal opinion is that it’s just irresponsible (and frankly should be illegal) to keep such large species of fish. Most species of large fish roam/migrate long distances and an aquarium just does not provide these fish a natural environment.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
People see something and want it now. They don't care about its future needs. They will likely tire of it in a couple of weeks and look for something else that's cool. I have two cats that were purchased cheaply as kittens then abandoned. I know this as my daughter spoke to the owner.

New Threads