WHAT DO I DO?

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ok, i have a 5 gallon tank with three plants in it. I have a balloon molly (which adult size is 2 inches, which i think its at now), and i have a dalmation lyrtail molly ( which adults size is three inches which it pretty much is at now). So 5 inches for five gallons. I know probably not the biggest space for them but it does it the 1 gallon per inch rule. Anyways so when i put the lyrtail in, they both left each other laone. Then when i would put food in, they would both seem to wrestle for the food if the got in eachothers way. The ballon molly would go after the lyrtail, jus as much as the lyrtail went after the balloon. I thpought this was good that at least not one wwas being picked on, they both would not take the others **** it seem. Now tonight it seems the lyrtail has the upper hand, The orange BALLOON seems to be more timid of him. i checked the balloons fins and theyre all fine. The balloon stil swims around but just doesnt want to seem to go near the lyrtail that much, and if he does the lytail chases him for about 5-8 seconds tops. Do they have to just get used to eachother or is this a bad sign. The only thing i think that makes the lyrtail longer is his tail . I know they have no teeth therefore cannot really hurt eachother. Actually i thought the balloon if naything would have the upper hand because even though hes smaller, when he USED  to chase the lyretail the lyrtail had more fin to watch out for. i dont know what to do. I hear all these people recently keeping 5 mollies in a 5 gallon or keeping 4 tetras, i cant keep two. :'( :
if nayone could get back to me tonight on what to do would be good as im going to the same petstore i got the lyrtil at tomorrow (its far away)

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I think this is a pecking order thing when you have 2 fish of the same family.. one will become dominant & push the other one around. The people who have more than 2 have an easier time because no fish has just 1 other fish to pick on.

Could be wrong, but i think they could still nip each other so I'd watch them and this is how they'll probably act from now on.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
hmm i looked at them  again..it was weird they both were alomst mouth to mouth just looking at echother for about a good 10 seconds..but neither one went after the other...then they both juststarted swimming together...im just glad they're not like you know really aggressive towards each other and i think this confirms they'll be ok..but im not sure...thanks for your reply

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lolagurl said:
hmm i looked at them again..it was weird they both were alomst mouth to mouth just looking at echother for about a good 10 seconds..but neither one went after the other...then they both juststarted swimming together...im just glad they're not like you know really aggressive towards each other and i think this confirms they'll be ok..but im not sure...thanks for your reply
That's interesting for mollys, it almost sounds like kissing gourami behavior.

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thank you so much for always replying i really appreciat it..yea i know its weird

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
lolagurl said:
thank you so much for always replying i really appreciat it..yea i know its weird
is there any way you might be able to record them doing that to post on youtube or google video? that really would be very interesting to watch.

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
How big are your mollies? Maybe there isn't enough room for the both of them?

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Gina423 said:
How big are your mollies?  Maybe there isn't enough room for the both of them?
i said at the beginning of the post one was 2 inch adult the other was 3inch adult its a 5 gallon tank..anyway i gave it back so :-\

Gina423

Valued Member
Reaction score
o, sorry. how is ur one fish without the other?

lolagurl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
its good it doesnt hide anymore. at first they were both at eachother but then the little yellow fish gave up and got picked on

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom