What Do I Do? :(

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not exactly sure where the appropriate place to post this is, so sorry if it's not in the right forum...anyways, my cousin who is 16 decided to get 2 bettas (male and female) a couple months ago. They have been in this tiny bowl thing with no filter or heater. She just recently got 2 gold fish who were in her five gallon tank, but was downgraded to a super tiny fish bowl because she got a feeder mouse and had no place to put it. Well she was taking care of them at first, now she's just being lazy and haven't cleaned out the bowls in awhile. The gold fish are swimming in so much poop and at the bottom gasping. I cleaned all of her stuff out while she's at school and moved the goldfish into this tote thing thats alot bigger than that bowl. Idk what to do about these poor fish. She will freak if i take her betta fish, she doesn't care about the gold fish, and my local fish store won't take these type of gold fish. I have an extra filter I could try and put on this tote thingy...but I still think this is way to small for them. I am furious at her for this pics of what they were in and what they are in now..

20180509_080235.jpg
20180509_080326.jpg
20180509_080346.jpg
20180509_101144.jpg
20180509_101155.jpg

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well, better but still not a permanent home situation. They look like comets or common goldfish so they need at least a 100 gallon tank just for one. Find them a nice pond to go live in. They can grow over a foot long. Don’t Cover them either...they need oxygen from the air if you don’t have an air stone. Encourage your cousin to do some research on pets before bringing them home. She may want to read up on betta’s too. Get them an air stone. Hopefully, someone with Betta knowledge will come along for that part.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldiemom said:
Well, better but still not a permanent home situation. They look like comets or common goldfish so they need at least a 100 gallon tank just for one. Find them a nice pond to go live in. They can grow over a foot long. Don’t Cover them either...they need oxygen from the air if you don’t have an air stone. Encourage your cousin to do some research on pets before bringing them home. She may want to read up on betta’s too. Get them an air stone. Hopefully, someone with Betta knowledge will come along for that part.
She is at the age that she doesn't care what anyone says. She does what she wants. She thinks she is right. I didn't wanna just dump then in a pond or somewhere, I was scared. If it's safe for them, then I will. My male Betta is in a five gallon with a heater and filter and he is so active. Hers that's in a bowl just sits there.. It is so depressing. She just says he's fine ..NO he literally has no room. He's not happy.

kayla.s said:
Will wherever she bought them not take them back?
I wish. She got them at the fair.

kayla.s

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Don't dump them in any pond, get permission first obviously. You can also try advertising them somewhere they are fish suited to pond situations, they don't need heaters etc and get way to big for most tanks anyway

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kayla.s said:
Don't dump them in any pond, get permission first obviously. You can also try advertising them somewhere they are fish suited to pond situations, they don't need heaters etc and get way to big for most tanks anyway
Okay, hopefully I can fins someone with a pond that won't mind these two living there. They are still pretty small. I put a filter in for them. They seem much happier than they were in that bowl..

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to dump them anywhere. I meant find someone with a nice pond. It’s actually illegal in most states just to dump a fish somewhere.

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldiemom said:
I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to dump them anywhere. I meant find someone with a nice pond. It’s actually illegal in most states just to dump a fish somewhere.
Oh...i didn't know that. Yikes. Glad I didn't haha.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The sad truth is, you cant help people who dont want to help themselves. Unfortunately, the fish will die unless the goldfish are re-homed to someone who will take proper care of them, and the bettas will die without a proper size tank, heater and filter.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i think its very commendable of you to care and do all you have for someone elses fish. i think you have done all you can. and as sad is it is to say, when these fish die, and they most likely will, get your spare filter back. kids will be kids, but if i was the parent, and saw how filthy the bowl is i would MAKE my kid ( and i do!!) clean it. the problem is most parents think "oh, its a fis, just put it in water" and only us crazies lol care to do as much research as is needed for fish. i think you should ( if you want to put anymore ime than you already have) print out or email you stuborn cousin lol some pertenate info on both bettas and goldfish, maybe then she/he will make apropriate changes, or re home the fish. i think the tub was a great idea. weel done sweety

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DuaneV said:
The sad truth is, you cant help people who dont want to help themselves. Unfortunately, the fish will die unless the goldfish are re-homed to someone who will take proper care of them, and the bettas will die without a proper size tank, heater and filter.
That's exactly what I told her AND my grandma. My grandma isn't going to put anymore money into the fish because my cousin doesn't take care of them. I just wish she would come to her senses and let me take them. I have a nice 20 gallon her male could go in and I could test out my female and her female together in my 10 gallon, and If that didn't work out, id keep her in what the goldfish are in now, until I get something better. But she won't part with them.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i say email her the basic care of both types of fish. and then tell her if she doesnt make a change, her prized fish that she wont part with WILL INFACT DIE!! maybe that will get her heals kickin and make a change to better her babies

EDIT TO ADD: i think you have done a really nice thing with both the tub and filter, and at the very least she should thank yoou for it

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ms rose said:
i think its very commendable of you to care and do all you have for someone elses fish. i think you have done all you can. and as sad is it is to say, when these fish die, and they most likely will, get your spare filter back. kids will be kids, but if i was the parent, and saw how filthy the bowl is i would MAKE my kid ( and i do!!) clean it. the problem is most parents think "oh, its a fis, just put it in water" and only us crazies lol care to do as much research as is needed for fish. i think you should ( if you want to put anymore ime than you already have) print out or email you stuborn cousin lol some pertenate info on both bettas and goldfish, maybe then she/he will make apropriate changes, or re home the fish. i think the tub was a great idea. weel done sweety
Thank you. It would be a waste of time emailing or printing anything off for her. The only thing she cares to read is texts from her boyfriend. She doesn't even care about school. Her highest grade is a 30. If she doesn't care about something as important as that, she won't take the time to read a thing about how to care for these little guys. It's ashame

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Id wager the females WONT get along well together, especially in a small 10 gallon. I wouldnt even try it honestly, youd probably wake up to 2 dead or severely injured fish. Ive been keeping bettas for 25 years and only a couple of fish a couple of times have worked in a sorority long term. It's are FAR more rare than people lead you to believe.

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
one more thing, why does she have tin foil covering the bowls?

Emuhlee said:
Thank you. It would be a waste of time emailing or printing anything off for her. The only thing she cares to read is texts from her boyfriend. She doesn't even care about school. Her highest grade is a 30. If she doesn't care about something as important as that, she won't take the time to read a thing about how to care for these little guys. It's ashame
well thats unfortunate. but i aplaud all you have done and tryed doing for these poor fish. hats of to you dear

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DuaneV said:
Id wager the females WONT get along well together, especially in a small 10 gallon. I wouldnt even try it honestly, youd probably wake up to 2 dead or severely injured fish. Ive been keeping bettas for 25 years and only a couple of fish a couple of times have worked in a sorority long term. It's are FAR more rare than people lead you to believe.
Yikes. I love my female way too much. Okay, I won't risk it. Other fish like fancy guppies would work with her though, right?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
DuaneV said:
that betta in you profile pic is stunning. almost looks irrodesent

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ms rose said:
one more thing, why does she have tin foil covering the bowls?
Because the darn cat was trying to reach in the bowl and she was going out for a few hours and couldn't keep an eye on them. I took it off when I cleaned their bowls earlier.

Ms rose said:
that betta in you profile pic is stunning. almost looks irrodesent
Betta in my profile picture? Lol you mean another post?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Emuhlee said:
oh ahhaha yes i was talking about the gentleman who said not to mix your and her female bettas lol

Emuhlee said:
Because the darn cat was trying to reach in the bowl and she was going out for a few hours and couldn't keep an eye on them. I took it off when I cleaned their bowls earlier.
haha ok thats fair reasoning lol. again good job for everything you did. best of luck

Emuhlee

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Emuhlee said:
These are my two babies. Rose and Rosa. I've been curious though.. does she look bloated, or is that how she's supposed to look?..
1525880236031675458765.jpg
15258803594411766572702.jpg

Ms rose said:
oh ahhaha yes i was talking about the gentleman who said not to mix your and her female bettas lol
Oh sorry lol

Emuhlee said:
Oh sorry lol
It didn't even show the quote for me until after I replied.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom