What do I do with the filter when medicating?

1. p

puppyduks New Member Member

I have 2 HOB filters on my 10g tank. One has a rectangular. flat filter with carbon embedded in it, and the other is an older style with a sponge at the bottom and a bag of carbon on top of the sponge. I treated my tank today with Parasite Guard fizz tab and I took out both filters. Now I am worried that the beneficial bacteria are dead.

What does a person do with the filters when they remove them to medicate the tank? :confused:

For stocking information, I currently have One adult female BB Endler (Its sister just died from unknown ? a few days ago), one male BB Endler (both adults are less than a year old), their litter from 3 months ago (approx 6 juveniles), two from the litter a month ago and three fry that were born 3 weeks ago. I also have a ghost shrimp male that is approximately 10 months old and 3 young albino cory cats that have just started to display mating behavior. Tank is planted with a large Argentine Sword, a medium Java fern, a moss ball a little smaller than a tennis ball, and approx 6 sprigs of anacharis. Gravel is small river rock and some special sand for growing plants mixed together. I just put a tbsp of aquarium salt in a few days ago.

Water parameters: Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates very low, ph stable, hard water, no chlorine. Ammonia tested by test tube, all others by test strips. This tank has been running since the spring.

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

We don't remove the filters, just the carbon. The carbon removes the meds before they have a chance to work.

If your filter media has stayed wet, then it's likely to still be alive. Put them back on the tank and get them running again.

3. OP
    OP
    p

puppyduks New Member Member

The carbon is embedded in the filter. It's all one piece.

Also a general question, how do you clean these things, and how often do you replace them?

4. Jaysee

I'm sorry, you did explain that. The one with carbon, I would just remove. And remove the bag of carbon in the second filter. You left the sponge in that filter, right? That will preserve the colony. You might have to keep an eye on your water parameters.

WIth the two filters, you can change the one with carbon once a month. You will also want to change the bag of carbon once a month. Like I said, the sponge will preserve the filter.

What I would do is ditch the media with the carbon in it, and just use a sponge instead. Then you can just leave that in there forever, rinsing it off every now and then. It would be best for the fish, rather than tossing the media every month.

5. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

And don't rinse any filters with tap water as this kills bacteria. Use some.tankwater. I.e. a bucket of water you took out for your water change.

6. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Yeoy is correct :)

7. matsungit

matsungit Well Known Member Member

Since my old tank water goes straight to the drain using an Aqueon Water Changer I rinse my filter using RO water.

8. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

Not all meds will harm your beneficial bacteria - in fact, a lot of them don't - but if you have to use one that does, you can either use it as a bath or place the media in a bucket of tank water before medicating. I would feed it with ammonia if the medicating period is more than 48 hours, as there really isn't an ammonia source in the bucket.

9. Jaysee

I use tap water to clean my media. The bacteria colony, once established, is far more resilient than people think. It's not a house of cards waiting to come down.

10. matsungit

I agree. I only wash biological media in RO water. Filter pads, carbon, other media, the filter housing and baskets are washed in tap.

11. Orion5

Orion5 Well Known Member Member

If you're using chlorinated tap water, it kills the bacterial culture for the most part. That's sort of the point of chlorination. :)

12. Jaysee

I even give the biomedia a quick shot - it doesn't take more than a few seconds to wash the gunk away. It does not kill all the bacteria. It doesn't come close to sterilizing it. Chlorine kills fish to, but they love swimming in the flow of the incoming water....

It's good to be concerned about the health and well being of the bacteria colony. I wouldn't do what I do if I wasn't confident that there would be no negative consequences.

That's one of those things you have to find out for yourself.

13. matsungit

I agree. I'm pretty confident about the established colony in my 60 gallon tank. I think this has something to do with the large amount of sand in my tank. Most of the colony is in my substrate and the 10 gallon refugium. I think this is why they say that larger tanks are more stable. And it won't matter if I lose a colony in my filter pads or the filter as long as my bio media still has some. For smaller tanks it might be dangerous to overclean the filter.

14. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

It's not something I'd do in a fairly new tank, but i rinse with tap water also. Mine is extremely low in chlorine, which varies from place to place, so I might not recommend it for every situation.

15. Jaysee

There's really only one way to find out where the line is....