What do I do with all this surface scum? Question

1. Betta305 Initiate Member

I have my 2 breeding hopefuls in a planted, heated, filtered, and divided 10gal for conditioning. I keep getting surface scum (looks like a film on the surface) on the side of the divider where there is no filter. I've read I need to break the surface tension to try and dissolve it so I switched the filter to the other side. But now it's back on the side where the filter used to be! Have any of you had this problem, and if so, what have you done to get rid of it? Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

This film appears I'm not in our daughter's Betta tank, and I attribute it to this particular individual's intensive bubble nest building. Lots of fishy spit there ;) when it gets to be too much, I use a cup and take out some of the surface water.

3. Betta305 Initiate Member

Does that work well? How long does it take to come back? It forms again in under 24 hours for me. I'm worried my poor bettas won't be able to get a breath of air!

4. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I actually do it about once a week if I remember. It is amazing how they survive in water that would kill other fish, and that's just one of the many reasons why we love them and appreciate them so much ;)

5. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You could add an airstone to agitate the surface & disperse the film, it may interfere with your Bettas bubble best though, alternatively a paper towel will lift it off

6. Betta305 Initiate Member

I tried scooping the surface, somewhat worked. I have a pump and airline, but no stone. I'll pick one up tommorow.

7. AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

This happens when there's no surface agitation. Try puting your filter on high to keep the surface moving. You can also get an air stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum