Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

What Do I Do Next? Severums Spawning In Community Tank.

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by Haasume, Apr 6, 2019.

1. HaasumeNew MemberMember

I have a 125 gallon with 3 Red Faced Gold Severums, 3 Rotkiel Severums, 2 Red Spotted Turquoise Severums, 3 Cory Cats & 2 Chinese algae eaters. The biggest fish in the tank, the RF Gold Severums have paired off and began spawning. The eggs are visible and the parents don't leave their side. I have never dealt with this in a community tank.
    What do I need to do in order to minimize the aggression from the parents towards the other fish in the tank? What do I need to do to minimize the loss of fry? I am assuming set up another aquarium to move some fish but which ones and when? I do have experience with Convicts and spawning but that is the extent of it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

To minimise both the parents aggression and the loss of fry you’ll need to move out all the other fish, now.
    Otherwise the parents will either try to defend the eggs/fry, or eat them if they think it’s a lost cause. They may also fall out and fight with each other.
    The only safe way for all concerned is to remove the other fish.

You could remove the eggs and hatch them in a tank of their own... but then you miss out on the protective behaviour of the parents, and they may either fall out or spawn again in a couple of weeks or so.

There used to be a golden rule which said if you want to keep big cichlids you need more than one tank available. This seems to be ignored these days, but if they breed you generally need to remove all other fish asap, if you want to save the fry, or the pair bond.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  3. HaasumeNew MemberMember

Thank you for your response... You were right I woke up this morning before I read your replay and all the eggs were gone. On a side note my figure 8 puffer was dead within 12" of where the eggs used to be..... so I don't know what happened there. I am assuming the parents ate the eggs and maybe the puffer was a casualty of aggression. As for the golden rule, I have roughly 13 tanks set up and running currently and another 2 for quarantine and hospital tanks. Next time I see eggs I will remove the eggs immediately and try to put the parents in the same tank as the eggs. Thanks again..

4. CoptapiaWell Known MemberMember

That doesn’t usually work, so good luck. But if you want a hassle-free spawning with no problems I would remove all other fish, at least when they’re in the spawning way again, and let them get on with it on their own...