What do I about this ammonia?

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think it was Monday or Tuesday my tank parameters in the 46 gallon was showing to be done. I had 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and tons of nitrates (can't remember exact number). So I done a 50% WC and added 3 skunk cories to the tank (I'll boost that number later; I wanted to start out with small numbers so as not to freak out the cycle by adding too much at a time). Yesterday I started showing .25 ammonia. I think I know why. I think I got a lil overzealous with tank cleaning. I done a 40-50% WC yesterday. I tested again this morning and ammonia is still at .25. So I done another 40-50% WC. So I need to know what to do now. Do I even worry about the small amount of ammonia? Should I just let things be and let the cycle catch back up? I bought some Ammo Lock today but I'm not sure I want to use it. Should I?
I know that the skunks tend to be sensitive so I really don't want to kill the lil guys with this ammonia jump.

jwhorner6

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
What are you using to test your ammonia

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I just tested again. Looks like the ammonia is trying to sneak on up to .5 now.

. And one of the cories is in the throes of death :-(

Junne

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't know about the ammo lock product but I would suggest getting the Seachem Prime. The prime will detoxify your ammonia levels for 24 hours, keeping your fish safe. It's also a dechlorinator and will neuteralize the chlorine in your water.
If you can, please get some of this at your lfs or petsmart/petco asap and then you will need to do a water change! Try and do at least 75% as your ammonia is pretty high.
You will need to continue this process until your levels are 0

Hope that helps!

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
All my LFS had was the AmmoLock. I looked for Amquel+ or Prime but they didn't have it. Nearest Petco/Petsmart is an hour away. From what I understand the Ammolock will do the same as Prime except for detoxing the nitrites (which I'm not having a problem with at this time; they are at 0). I just done another 40-50% WC today (making that two altogether). And I added the Ammolock. I lost one of the cories already. Poor guy.

I forgot to mention I'm not even feeding the fish yet. At all.

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Keep changing the water, and look for any possible ammonia sources such as dead bugs, etc. Can you get ahold of some Tetra SafeStart?

escapay

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would test your tap water too. I know my city has ammonia in the tap water, so it was pointless for me to do water changes if the tank was at 0.25ppm whereas the tap was at 0.5ppm.

I just used Prime. I would call and see if the Petco/Petsmart has any. If not, I would order some online and just do lots of water changes (depending on your tap water).

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have never ever seen TSS in person at a store! I'd probably have to order it online. Should I?

hssea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I recently ordered from Foster's & Smith (they have both Prime & Tetra SAfe Start) and just used their regular shipping and was surprised it came earlier than it was suppose to take (2 days) !! Good luck with your tank, hopefully the other cories will Ok.

Eienna

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It could make the difference if you want to keep your cories...

hcroark

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Just an update. Tested my water today. Still at .25 ammonia (no, it's not naturally occurring from tap). O nitrites. Less than 5 nitrates. Ammolock seems to be doing the trick. I lost the one Cory but the other 2 seem to be happy. I finally fed them today. I'm just gonna keep following the directions for Ammolock (add every 2 days and a WC in a week). It sure is taking forever for a mere .25 to go back down to 0!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads