what do ghost shrimp eat?

lolagurl

? just the things that float around in the tank?

Gunnie

They are scavengers and usually eat anythig that falls to the bottom like a cory cat does.

griffin

Gunnie said:
They are scavengers and usually eat anythig that falls to the bottom like a cory cat does.
basically leftover food, algae, and stuff like that

vin

Leftover food, algae and fish waste....

darkwolf29a

I found a deal on these. I bought 20 of them for 30 cents each.

My tank is clean....and I shouldn't have to vacuum it ever again. LOL

They are constantly eating something, my driftwood, algae...anything not tied down or glass. LOL

tan.b

lol!! that's the shrimp! they cost nothing to keep!!! they'll always find something to scavenge on! they are rather partial to algae wafers should they get to them before the pleco notices!!

darkwolf29a

tan.b said:
lol!! that's the shrimp! they cost nothing to keep!!! they'll always find something to scavenge on! they are rather partial to algae wafers should they get to them before the pleco notices!! 
I wish I could get my pleco off the glass long enough to get an algae wafer. I dropped one on his head yesterday, literally, and he ignored it. He just sat there, stuck to the glass. Honestly, he's been doing the same thing since I got him home. Of course, he's growing, but still. And yes....the ghosties cleaned up the mess. LOL

I have become convinced that I only have to do water changes, no substrate vacuuming. And, honestly, that'll save me time, cuz...I got a big hose that sucks out 25% water in a few minutes.

armadillo

darkwolf29a said:
tan.b said:
I wish I could get my pleco off the glass long enough to get an algae wafer. I dropped one on his head yesterday, literally, and he ignored it. He just sat there, stuck to the glass. Honestly, he's been doing the same thing since I got him home. Of course, he's growing, but still. And yes....the ghosties cleaned up the mess. LOL

I have become convinced that I only have to do water changes, no substrate vacuuming. And, honestly, that'll save me time, cuz...I got a big hose that sucks out 25% water in a few minutes.
I have this tall hex and it's a nightmare to vacuum: because of the limited floor surface, there's always poop in the gravel, no matter how often you do it. I have another, long, tank of a similar volume and there's never anything to vacuum. So am hardly ever vacuuming that one. All this to say, a vacuumless world is within our reach, shrimp or no shrimp.

darkwolf29a

LOL, well, I am using silica, sand blsting, sand as the subtrate. Honestly, the only thing I do is stir the sand. I don't really vacuum it, unless it needs it now, and my cleaning crew deals with 90% of it, and piles up the 10% they can't deal with. :

griffin

silica sand is great for that get some mts, and you won't even have to stir!

darkwolf29a

That's true. But, then...I'd have to get something to eat the mts. LOL

griffin

darkwolf29a said:
That's true. But, then...I'd have to get something to eat the mts. LOL
why's that? I just let mine stay and stir

Latest threads

Top Bottom