What do each of the flourish ferts do and which ones should I use?

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Its all confusing and I haven't used flourish ferts before and there's so many different types. Which ones are best and what do they do? there's potassium, iron, nitrates, phosphorus, trace, advance, excel , and regular flourish.

Blueberrybetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Blueberrybetta said:
You're better off getting Thrive C. Save your money with the all in one bottle
ok thanks

Level99Fishing

Valued Member
Reaction score
regular flourish you don't need if you have a decent amount of fish in your tank as most of what that provides is also found in fish poop.
Excel is for general growth as the plants get carbon from it. It also works as an algicide.
Potassium, nitrates, and phosphorus are for better and faster growth and better colours. You need to play around with the doses depending on what types of plants and colours you want.
Iron doesn't seem to affect all the plants I have. The only plant I own that gets a real benefit from seachem iron is rotala macrandra. The leaves are more erect and red with iron than without.
Advance I've never used before so I'm not too sure what it does.

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Level99Fishing said:
regular flourish you don't need if you have a decent amount of fish in your tank as most of what that provides is also found in fish poop.
Excel is for general growth as the plants get carbon from it. It also works as an algicide.
Potassium, nitrates, and phosphorus are for better and faster growth and better colours. You need to play around with the doses depending on what types of plants and colours you want.
Iron doesn't seem to affect all the plants I have. The only plant I own that gets a real benefit from seachem iron is rotala macrandra. The leaves are more erect and red with iron than without.
Advance I've never used before so I'm not too sure what it does.
I have flourish, and I don’t have very many fish, and the ones I do have are young. I will get excel, I researched it before so I’m set on that one and I watched a vid on what it’s used for. I’ll look into the other ones. Thanks a lot for the help

DollyDolly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Also I’m setting up a 40 gallon sort of medium tech. I have a instant cycler with bacteria, but do you think the nitrogen will help the bacteria and help it cycle?

Inner10

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I own most of them and never use them, all in one is less work.

Vince3

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Level99Fishing said:
You need to play around with the doses depending on what types of plants and colours you want.
I was close to ordering several of the Flourish ferts, but that "playing around with the dose" is what put me off. Trying to nail that balance of the macros so that they're all supporting each other and yielding ideal amounts leaves me feeling like I'd probably end up in EI territory anyway. I'm using Easy Green in my two aquariums, and they seem to be well balanced.

Level99Fishing

Valued Member
Reaction score
The flourish NPK ferts are good as boosters. I buy an all-in-one and then you use the seachem NPKs to boost.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads